Chapter 5

Lexi's POV

     To say I'm not thrilled to be on a 16 hour flight next to two people I've never talked to before is an understatement. I still don't know who I'm going to sit next to, but I already know it's not going to be good.

     "What's your seat Lexi?" Sergio asks. They had us line up alphabetically by  last name, so I'm right by Sergio while practically all our other friends are at the end of the line, their last names starting with letters like p and t.

     "24B, you?" Our plane isn't that small, the flight just isn't booked, so there is going to be a lot of open seats. Our school thought more people were going on the trip, so they reserved more seats than needed.

     "17C. You got the middle seat," once it actually hits me that I'm going to be in the middle, I groan.

      "That's just great. I'm ready to cry," I sigh, hiding my hands in the sleeves of Michael's sweatshirt that I'm still wearing.

      "Don't cry babe, you get to sit next to the gun show on the plane. I'm in seat 24A," Cameron winks at me. My heart physically drops. This flight is going to be hell.

     "Cameron, do you want to switch seats? I have 11A." Andrew Butcher offers. He's directly in front of me. Butcher, then Brown, then Calderon.

     "Hell no! I get to sit next to a total babe for a whole 16 hours, I'm not giving that up," Cameron glares at Andrew once the offer comes out of his mouth. The people up front slowly start scanning the boarding passes, meaning the line starts slowly inching forward.

     "I wish you the best of luck seating wise," I whisper to Sergio.

     "I'd wish you the same, but you're already screwed," he laughs, so I playfully hit him in the shoulder.

     "Not as screwed as Danielle. She signed up for the trip so late that she has to sit in the first row surrounded by strangers," Danielle didn't think she'd be able to get the money to go, so she didn't sign up until she for sure had it, three weeks ago.

     "They have extra seats, why not stick her in one of those?" Sergio murmurs grumpily.

     "I really don't know," the woman scans my boarding pass, giving me a brief smile before taking Sergio's I wait for him, and the two of us walk down to the plane together.

     "I bet you're going to also have to sit next to Stella, or Michael's going to have to sit next to Stella. That seems to be how things work out," he says what he's thinking. I roll my eyes at the thought.

     "I'd rather sit next to her than have her sit next to him," I grumble as I see Andrew Butcher keep glancing back at Sergio and I, walking slower than he needs to so he can hear our conversation.

     "Really? Wow. You know he'd never leave you for her. You two might have only made it official a couple of days ago, but you've been practically dating since the end of freshman year."

     "I trust him, but I don't trust her. She's one of those people who won't stop until she gets what she wants. If she wants him, she won't stop until he's hers."

     "Ya know, for a person who always has people assume stuff about them, I'd think that you wouldn't assume stuff about other people," Sergio thinks out loud, stroking his chin.

     "What do you mean?"

     "Do you have any evidence Stella is like that?" I stay silent. "Exactly." The two of walk onto the plane and walk down the isle until we reach Sergio's seat. "She could be a really nice person. I'm not saying you have to become her best friend, but just don't assume stuff about her."