Chapter 12

Michael's POV

      "Wait, so I understand a lot of this," Miles speaks up over the crowd. Everyone is gathered at the center of camp to start our town meeting in a circle. Someone, I forgot who, described what's happening, but some people still seem lost. "We have this meeting where, one at a time, we accuse people of being a mafia member. After everyone we want to be accused is accused and had time to defend themselves, we can vote for two people who we still believe are the mafia to...ya know die. But, who exactly kills them?" Miles says from partially around the circle. The circle goes myself, Lexi, Joyce, Carolyn, Naomi, Rebecca, Erin, Dorian, Andrew Butcher, Lacey, Andrew Bloom, Sariah, Gavin, Jon, Brady, Serg, Chance, Kendall, Anya, Jay, Hailey, Lindsay, Miles, Cameron, Cassie, Devin, Drew, Veronica, Zoe, Mikey, Cam, Jaden, and then Stella on my other side.

      "Well, usually it's the mayor," Lexi explains. Everyone looks at Stella.

     "No, no, no. You guys can't expect me to kill people," her eyes are wide in fear.

     "But if it's the rules..." Cameron starts, but Dorian interrupts him.

     "We should see if there are any volunteers. We shouldn't force Stella into that," when he says that, Lexi leans over to me.

      "He likes her," she tells me proudly. I nod.

      "Any volunteers?" no one raises their hand. When Stella is about to say something, Joyce throws up her hand.

      "I guess if no one else will do it I will," she groans, rolling her eyes.

      "Thank you so much," Stella says to her. Joyce coils back in disgust.

      "Please never talk to me again," Joyce snaps at her.

      "Okay let's start. Any accusations?" Silence.

      "I'm going for the obvious one here," Sariah breaks the silence. "Cameron." He throws his hands up in the air.

     "What did I do?" he glares at her.

     "Easy. You're always suspiciously vacant from camp. Plus, when you're at camp, you're busy harassing Lexi, or Stella, I can't tell the difference, or playing with Hailey. It's obvious you like to cause pain, and you'd kill off all the guys to have an island full of girls," she smirks while saying this.

     "I'm a different person than Stella," Lexi murmurs sadly to herself, pursing her lips. If Chance wasn't here, I'd trap her in a hug, but I can't with him facing us.

      "The people who matter acknowledge that babe," I tell her quietly. The smile that appears on her face makes it worth it.

      "It's not harassment cause she likes it, right Lexi?" he calls across the circle.

     "Oh yes, cause I just love you randomly coming behind me and grabbing my ass," Lexi sarcastically spits, rolling her eyes.

     "What ass?" Andrew Bloom jeers. Lexi genuinely seems hurt from the statement, leaning into my side, so I glare at him.

     "Don't worry Lexi, I think it's just fine," Butcher calls from the other side of the circle.

     "Can you guys stop," I say it as more of a command than a question. Cameron huffs.

     "I think Andrew Bloom is a mafia member. Only a soulless asshole would make that comment, just like only a soulless asshole would murder people," Gavin concludes, sending a smile Lexi's way after.

     "Mike, I want to leave. I don't like this, at all," Lexi whimpers in my ear, making me soften.

     "It'll be over soon," I discreetly place my hand on top of hers.