Chapter 3

Michael's POV

     "A week from today, we'll be in Australia, sitting on a beach with six of our best friends," Lexi sighs, looking up at me. We aren't allowed to leave the campus unless strictly told to, so the only place I thought I could take her was the school cafeteria (which is in no way romantic). That was until I realized I could just set up a little date in my room, which is what I did. I made popcorn, rented a movie that Jay told me was good, and took some pizza from the cafeteria. Jay is usually gone until midnight anyways with his friends, so he won't randomly come barging in.

     "That's insane," I have on arm around her as we're both cuddled under the covers of my bed. The tv is perfectly lined up so you can see it from my bed, and we have no couch, so it makes sense to lie down on it to watch a movie.

      "They sent out the roommates list. Did you request anyone?" she looks down at her phone, seeing the message she just got.

      "Jay and I were going to share a room," I tell her. "I don't know if they accepted it though since we turned the form in late."

     "I'm going to read them all off. I'm honestly interested who people chose because I only talk to like...eight people," she rests her head on my chest as she pulls up the list. "There are 52 people going on the trip, thirty boys and twenty-two girls" she looks at the stats first. "Okay, so the pairings are Chance and Drew, Sergio and Brady, you and Jay, Mikey and Marcus, Jaden and Cam, Miles and Cameron, Paul and Matthew, Gianni and Santino, Zach and Jordan, Gavin and Jon, Alan and Nate, Lukas and Stone, Dylan and Timmy, Devin and Bloom, and Dorian and Butcher for the boys. For the girls it's Carolyn and Rebecca, Cassie and Naomi, Mila and Donna, Jaida and Ada, Anya and Kendall, Joyce and Erin, Lindsay and Hailey, Stella and Zoe, Lacey and Sariah, myself and Danielle, and Veronica with Sylvia. I feel so bad for Veronica. We tried to convince them to let us have 3 to a room, but they told us no."

      "It probably won't be that bad. I haven't talked to Sylvia, but she doesn't seem that bad, just a little petty at times," I say. She nods, but seems distracted.

      "Do you know what the deal with those letters are? It's been on my mind since I saw it. Like there is a psychopath at our school, and we don't know who it is. They could kill anyone at any moment," Lexi speaks what's on her mind, nervously twiddling her fingers under the blanket. I take one hand and place it on top of her hands, and I slide the other one under her hands, trapping her hands in between mine.

     "Well, they really didn't show interest in any of our friends. And I won't let whoever they are touch you. They're going to have to go through me to get to you," I tell her softly. Instead of calming down, she stays on edge still.

     "But I don't want you to get hurt," her voice is weak now.

     "They won't come at us if there are two of us. In Jay's letter it specifically said 'when you are alone'. If there's two of us, they won't come for us," I reassure her that we'll be fine.

     "You're positive?"

     "I'm positive. Now let's keep watching this movie," we paused the movie around an hour ago when we started talking and ignored it completely. Neither of us were really ever paying full attention to the movie. I couldn't even tell you what the movie was about and it was on for a decent amount of time. We watch for a while, and the movie is a complete train wreck.

     "What even is this movie?" she laughs at this horrible thing that is on the tv. Jay told me to watch Trolland because it is "a movie no one can forget." Now, I see what he was meaning. This monstrosity has been burned into my brain.

     "Jay told me I should watch it," right as I say that, one of the trolls says they're going to take to nap, but all they do is stand there and tilt their head back. The snoring sounds come out of their mouth, but their eyes are wide open.