Chapter 16

Christmas time: Brittany's favourite time of year. Like every other kid, the thrill of staying up for as long as you could just in hope that you'd catch a glimpse of Santa and his reindeer soaring through the skies above was enough to make Brittany's heart flutter with excitement. She even swore every year growing up that she could hear his sleigh bells in the distance, ringing away as he drew closer to her home and even now, when Brittany was aware that Mr. Claus was merely a child's fantasy, she could never shake that feeling of exhilaration whenever the enchanting date approached. In fact, it was her outright merriment that lifted everyone else's Christmas spirits higher, because after all, Christmas time was a time when the magic really happened, when wishes came true and people were brought together to celebrate. And every year, Brittany prayed the most on Christmas in hope that one day she would finally get better and being Christmas Eve, Brittany couldn't shake the beaming smile off her face.

"And there she goes..." Grace hides her mouth behind her hand in an attempt to control her laughter while Brittany snorts at the dining table, face scrunched up and nostrils flaring as she chuckles uncontrollably as the family sit down for a Christmas Eve supper under candle light. James roars along with his daughter, slapping his palm on the varnished oak with one hand and holding on his food-filled stomach with the other. Santana fills the additional fourth chair, staring at the family as they cry tears of laughter and can't help the few amused giggles that escape her own mouth.

Brittany wipes the tears away from her eyes with her napkin, forgetting why she was even laughing in the first place and finds Santana glancing back at the opposite of the end of the table with her head cocked to the side like a curious puppy. She looks at Brittany with a loving look, as if she had just discovered the most precious thing in the world. Santana wears her hair down with her side bangs pinned back by a hair clip shaped like a bow and decorated with red sequins. She wears a red sweater to match and Brittany can't help but feel elated about the fact that this girl was actually hers.

Overcome with contentment, Brittany clears her throat and looks down at her banana split, unable to relax her face muscles as she grins bashfully while her parents gloat away in their own little bubble. She glances back up to Santana again and watches her lips as she mouths 'I love you,' forming a heart shape with her fingers over her chest. Yes, Christmas was definitely here.

"You can never shake the beans outta Brittany at this time of year," James explains, taking a swig of his chilled beer before giving out a satisfied sigh.

Santana purses her lips and raises a brow while she watches the glow that radiates off Brittany's face as she bobs her head back and forth to the Christmas music playing in the background. She even goes as far doing the arm wave in her seat that sends the family into another fit of giggles. Santana rests her elbow on the table and her head in her hand as she watches with humour. She had never seen her Brittany like this; so blissful and confident, it made her heart sing.

"I aint no beanstalk!," Brittany rolls her eyes playfully and stops to pick up her fork before cutting into her dessert. "I'm Brittany!" she states enthusiastically, cramming the sweet banana in her mouth as ice-cream drips down her chin, causing Santana to snort out. Brittany stops with the fork in her mouth to watch Santana vibrating in her seat and not too long after, Brittany joins her as she coughs out and covers her mouth, trying not to spit the foot back out.

Grace and James look at the two girls as they slap their knees, sway around as if they were drunk and produce nothing but silent giggles as tears sting at their youthful eyes. Grace then glances at James who with a knowing look and he understands the look immediately. They were young together once and watching their daughter with Santana now, it felt like sweet nostalgia.

"Teenage girls these days," James sighs in his deep southern accent. "You never know what they're thinking."

Santana shakes her head and turns her attention back to her own dessert, scrunching the napkin up in her fist as light from the candles flickers around her.