Chapter 21

The cold tap drips in a slow rhythm where Brittany stands with her palm on the handle. Gloop, gloop, gloop. She isn't concentrating on anything in particular, her glassy blue eyes are unfocused as she stands statue-like at the kitchen sink. The morning sun finally manages to break from the clouds and greets Brittany through the small, semi-circled window as the heat warms her emotionless face. Yet, her expression doesn't change and so the sun falls back behind the clouds again shortly after, as if it were hiding from disappointment.

"There you are!" Santana sighs flailing her arms in the air in a fuss as she enters the kitchen. "Where have you been for the last thirty minutes?" she asks, walking up to Brittany with a relieved grin before holding her waist from behind, propping her chin on Brittany's shoulder. "I thought you had left for school without me!" She says, squeezing her girlfriend a little.

Brittany blinks a couple of times, trying to remember where she actually is as she casts her eyes down at Santana's hands on her stomach and then at the two pills resting in her own hand.

"Oh..." Brittany breathes out. "I forgot... I forgot to take my pills," she replies, quickly bringing the capsules to her mouth as she begins turning the tap handle before bending down to drink directly from the faucet.

Santana walks around her until she's facing Brittany directly at her side and looks at her with a hint of concern. Brittany haf been like this for a couple of days now. Distracted and not one hundred percent present.

"Babe..."Santana whispers, noticing the hard line between Brittany's brows as she rises back up from the sink, wiping her mouth. "You worried about something?" Santana asks, taking her hand as she gently traces her thumb across Brittany's forehead, smoothing out her frown. "You worried about school today?

Brittany bites her bottom lips as she glares down at the ground but is grateful for Santana's gentle caress as it takes the strain away from her head a little.

"No," Brittany replies softly, lifting her gaze to watch Santana. The confusion in her girlfriend's endless black eyes is evident as Santana tries to search for hidden clues in Brittany's face. It's the last thing that Brittany wants so she takes Santana's hand from her face and into her own before squeezing it reassuringly. She likes the way Santana looks today, she always likes the way Santana looks but today she is wearing one side of her bangs pinned back and in curls. She thinks how far Santana has come. When they first met she had been a hard-faced, hard to please teenaged brat with an attitude. But since moving in with Brittany, she had begun to flourish, until now, she is becoming a young, mature, beautiful woman, more so every day.

"What?" Santana asks, grinning bashfully at the way Brittany tilts her head with a little smile.

"You look lovely," Brittany softly beams as her face eventually lightens up again before she leans down for a tender, lingering kiss. When she pulls back, Santana slowly licks her lips and opens her eyes heavily, cocking her eyebrow.

"Mmm" Santana hums, nibbling on the bottom of her own lip as she plays with a strand of Brittany's hair. Santana wishes she wasn't in such bad shape so she could just take Brittany there and then. And with Brittany's parents gone for some early morning grocery shopping, the kitchen seems a daring yet thrilling place. But since she has fractured ribs to look after and the fact that the two of them have to be in class in half an hour makes it quite impossible. "Let's just pray your folks don't move me to the spare bedroom when they find out about us, Santana smirks before spinning around. "Let's go!" She clicks her fingers, skipping away to the porch.

"Santana!" Brittany calls out, her heart begins to race but she can't understand why. Santana turns around again, struggling to wiggle her feet in to her faux-leather boots.