Chapter - 4

"If only I could tell you the depth of my feelings for you...!!!"

Raj stood in front of the Wall of Fame and stared at the empty place which once held the picture of the best cadet of their batch... Captain Naveen Singh Ahluwalia. But fate had been too cruel on his best friend. Now it seemed as if it was his turn to fall into the same trap. The system which had snatched his best friend was now training his guns on a new person - him. He knew very well that he was walking straight into the trap which had been laid out for him. But he had no other option. With a deep sigh, he turned and traced his path out of the academy building. 

Getting into the jeep, he checked the time once and then started the vehicle intending on speeding out of the gates of the academy, not wanting to meet anyone, not wanting to see anyone - especially not her. But it seemed that Lady Luck was not in his favour.

She rushed into the path of the jeep, with little care for her life and he pushed the brakes sharply. The tyres protested as they screeched to a stop and he had half a mind of scolding her.

"Kya kar rahi ho Cadet Singh? Kya baat hai... any problem?"

Silently she came and stood beside the jeep. "Nahi Sir... wo hum log mission ke liye ja rahe the to mujhle laga ki mai aapko..."

"Kya aapko? Kuch puchna chahti ho? Kya baat hai?"

"Aap kahan ja rahe ho, Sir?"

He didn't miss her clumsy attempt at changing the topic, nor did he miss her hesitation. She wanted to say something, or probably ask something but was finding it difficult to do so.

"Kyun janna chahti ho Cadet Singh?" he asked, trying hard to rein in his frustration.

"Nahi... All the best."

"Wish you all the best. Mission pe tum log ja rahe ho. Mai jaun?" He asked her, just trying to tease her a bit, his mind still occupied with the place he had to be in a couple of hours. 

She nodded once and turned back as he started the engine. Turning back in a flash, she held a white handkerchief in front of him.

Sir...ye..."

Surprised, he took the offered piece of cloth as she muttered a bye and ran off, or rather tried to. But he was having none of it. 

"Hold it Cadet Singh." His voice had the inherent command of her mentor and she stopped as he knew she would. Though he couldn't see her face, she would definitely be biting her tongue now.

Surprised, he got down from the jeep and walked towards her as she turned to look at him.

"Ye kya hai?" he asked.

"Gift hai Sir... Iske corner pe aapke initials bhi hai." She told him softly as he checked the kerchief. 

A small smile threatened to break out on his face as he took in her gift. "Lekin gift kisliye?"

"Gift kyun?" She thought for a second and replied, "Gift ke liye koi bahana thodi na chahiye Sir. Sir, Dismiss." And she turned to leave, but he was having none of it.

"Ek minute Cadet Singh."

Her heart in her mouth she turned around to find him with a peculiar smile on his face.

"Apna haath aage karo."

"Kyun?" she asked confused.

"Apna haath aage badhao." he enunciated clearly and she did so and watched in surprise as he opened his watch and placed it on her palm.

"Apna aur apne waqt ka khayal rakhna." A strange smile played on his lips as he watched her stunned expression. She could only mumble a soft 'aap bhi" in response.