Chapter - 11

Raj had recognized the place the very instant he had seen the scenery on the screen

Raj had recognized the place the very instant he had seen the scenery on the screen. Now as he rushed towards the clearing, he prayed with all his heart that Naina would be safe. He had already lost Navin. He did not want to lose Naina on his quest to prove Naveen innocent.

He reached the clearing within 10 minutes, but there was no sign of Naina.. where had the girl disappeared? And where was Major Nair?

His phone rang that instant and he was about to cut it but one look at the number flashing on the screen and he picked it up. It was lt. Chaubey.

"Sir... cadet Singh east ki taraf gayi hain."

He disconnected the call and rushed towards the direction which Chaubey had given. He would thank the man later.

A shrill cry pierced the silence of the forest, guiding Raj in the proper direction. He reached there just in time to see a badly injured Naina lying helplessly against a boulder while Nair stood a few feet apart which his gun trained at her.

Rajveer's jaw clenched in anger as he took in the sight. Naina had her eyes closed which was well and good. He pulled out his gun and took aim. He did not need much time. He pressed the trigger even before Nair could.

A gunshot rang out in the woods, scaring away the birds and other reptiles. He saw Major Nair clutch his injured wrist and look around wildly. The moment Nair's eyes landed on Raj's face, the senior officer's visage contorted in absolute fury.

"Why you..."

Raj did not allow the man to complete his sentence. The second shot from his gun had Nair on down on the ground with a bullet straight through his knee. Raj had no care left for this man. He had dared to lay hands on Naina... his Naina... his Cadet Naina Ah...Singh. This was a very small punishment for what he had dared to do.

Abhimanyu came up behind him and moved to arrest Nair. He could hear an orderly's shocked voice saying "Rajveer Sir... Aap zinda hain?"

He tuned out the rising sounds and turned to look at the woman who was the centre of his universe. The look in her eyes gave him pause. But there was also a strange sort of compelling power in it. Pushing his gun back into its holder, Raj moved swiftly towards his protégée, his cadet who also happened to be his beloved.

She was staring at him with a lot of nameless expression in her huge, expressive eyes. But there was no shock... Instead, it radiated with a belief which had the capability on undoing Raj.

With his eyes firmly fixed on hers, he knelt down in front of her, unmindful of the small rock pieces digging his knees. He did not know what to say, but also knew that his every expression, every statement was being recorded. This was not the time to let his heart and emotions run wild. He had waited for so many days. He could wait the entire life for her.