Chapter - 10

Lt

Lt. Chaubey pulled out his cell from the innermost depths of his dress. He had been surprised when he felt the phone vibrating. And now, when he saw the unknown number flashing on the screen, he was confused. Who could be calling him at this time? Very few people knew this number.

Shrugging he picked up the call. He did not have much time. He had compiled all the details in a cd and had to report within five minutes.

"Hello."

"Chaubey... Kaise ho?"

"Sir...." Came the shocked response.

"Kya hua Bunty Chaubey.. chaunk gaye?"

"Sir... aap kahan hai?"

"KMA aa raha hun, Chaubey. Yahi batane ke liye phone kiya tha."

"Please jaldi aaiye sir. Yahan aapki bahut zarurat hai."

"Kyun... kya hua hai Chaubey. Bade ghabraye hue suni de rahe ho?"

In response, Bunty Chaubey spoke everything about the conversation Major Nair had in the morning. At the end of it, Rajveer barked out a command.

"Go and meet Chauhan sahab, Chaubey. And jaisa wo kahen waisa karo. Hum ek ghante me pahunchte hain."

Disconnecting the call, Lt. Chaubey rushed to meet Captain Chauhan.

@*@*@*@*@*@

Somewhere out on the road, Rajveer pressed the accelerator to its last.

"Rajveer...kya hua?" Colonel Shakti Chandra had dozed off some time on the way. Now he awoke with a jolt as the jeep gained speed. This was Raj driving at the topmost speed.

"Naina ki jaan khatre me hai. Nair uspe humla karne wala hai."

"Faster Raj." Was all Colonel Shakti Chandra said...

@*@*@*@*@*@

Brigadier Chandok sat on his plush armchair with his head in his hands.

"And all the time that I had trusted major Nair with KMA and the cadets, he had been cheating on me? More than that, the man has cheated the nation, cheated the people. Why could I never see through his game?" brigadier Chandok bemoaned.

"Because he has played the game very cleverly sir." Captain Chauhan replied.

Having seen the video and the conversations, there was not much that Brigadier Chandok could do to dispute their claim. Not that the man would ever do it... he was strict, but he also was an upright army officer. He would never accept this act from anyone, least of all Major Nair.

"To kya Captain Shekhawat zinda hain?" The hope in his voice was heartbreaking. He had taken the news of Rajveer's death very hard.

"Hume nahi malum, Sir. Rajveer ne humse contact nahi kiya."