Chapter - 9

"Life has many ways of testing a man's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once."

Naina got up from the chair and stretched her back

Naina got up from the chair and stretched her back. She had been sitting in the same position for the last two hours when she had relieved Pooja at 02:00 hours. And now she still had two more hours to go before making an appearance in the courtyard for the morning drill.

10 days had passed since that fateful evening when they had caught Nair and the strange man in the valley making plans to capture Captain Shekhawat. And though Major Nair had scoffed at that time, she had seen the fear and tension lurking in his eyes. Consequently, he had been harder in his trainings, especially on the six of them. What was even worse that he had taken charge of their strategy class and was hell bent on disapproving all that Rajveer Sir had taught them. Though it had irked Naina, but she had kept her cool, waiting for Nair to take a wrong step

So far, everything had been quiet and her friends had begun wondering if the terrorists had not believed in the deductions of their friend. But Naina had an ominous feeling. She hated this calm which was the sign of some impending storm.

She paced for a few minutes in the room and then again sank down on the chair. Waiting for something to happen was the worst job of all. She hated this waiting period, itched to get out and lay hands on the culprit. But she knew she had no other option. Her haste would only complicate matters. They had waited this long. Surely they could wait a few more days. For she knew it was not going to be long now. Nair's fate had been sealed and she was going to make sure that he paid for his crimes.

Cutting through her musing, the instruments in front of her beeped, signalling an incoming call. She quickly switched on the record button, put on the head phones and settled down to listen to another incriminating conversation.

"Good Morning Major Nair. So to nahi rahe the."

"Nahi Sir. Bilkul bhi nahi. Bataiye, kya baat hai."

"Major Nair, jaisa ki tum jaante ho, Rajveer zinda hai."

"Sir... ye possible nahi hai."

Naina could hear the exasperation in his voice. She smiled to herself. She could understand Nair's frustration. He was so sure of her Rajveer Sir's death, that this new complication of the man being alive and yet beyond capture was a big hindrance in his plans. Also, it meant loss of sleep and calm. No wonder Major Nair did not want to believe that Rajveer Sir was alive.

"Major... for God's sake , broaden your horizons. Hume apne aadmi ki deductions par pura bharosa hai. Na kewal Rajveer zinda hai balki usne hi Col Shakti Chandra ko humare qaid se azaad karwaya hai. Aur wo ab saamne tabhi aayega jab uske paas humare khilaf sabut hoga. Aur isse pehle ki wo humare khilaf koi sabut jutaye, hume usay khinch ke bahar nikalna padega."