Chapter - 8

"You usually have to wait for that which is worth waiting for."

Once Chaubey left the premises, the person came out of the shadows

Once Chaubey left the premises, the person came out of the shadows. He was dressed in a pair of denims and a cotton shirt which had seen better days. It was now soiled and muddy, so much so that the actual colour of the shirt was not even visible. His face was sallow, his cheeks had sunken. He obviously had had a hard time. His face was covered with thick beard and moustache... he obviously had not shaved for quite some time.

Now he rubbed the roughened tips of his forefinger and thumb on the black mane which covered his face and paced around in the small hut. He looked like a caged tiger, who did not have a way out. In a way, he probably did not have any way out. He was dependent on the news from hospital. And he couldn't make a move without some positive hints. He had no option but to wait. He hoped his friend and cadet were faring better.

Just like it always happened with him nowadays, his mind went back to the fateful morning when the jeep he had been driving had met with an accident and had resulted in the death of the driver. To the world, Captain Rajveer Singh Shekhawat was dead, but only he knew that he lived.

Not only was Captain Shekhawat alive but also that the accident had been a carefully orchestrated drama by him on the spur of the moment intended to fool the world and throw his enemies off track. He had succeeded in that. The whole world believed him to be dead... except her.

Chaubey's words rang in his ears.

"Cadet Singh ye manne ko taiyyar hi nahi ki aap mar chuke hain."

He was grateful that she at least had the sense to keep her deductions to herself, or in this case among her group members. He also knew that when he would resurface she would be extremely angry with him and he had no idea how to pacify her.

He had been too worried that morning to think about her reaction. But he also knew that no matter what his decision would have been the same. After all, he had to save Col Shakti Chandra and get the red box. He had managed to do the former, but had no idea where the red box was. And he had to get it, at any cost.

He sat down on the mud caked earth and leant back against the wall. He did not have any other option other than to wait. And that is what he would do. Captain Rajveer Singh Shekhawat never lacked patience. He wouldn't lose it so easily this time.

@*@*@*@*@*@

Trailing Nair had been a hellish job. There was not much to do. Just hide, wait and watch as Nair paced restlessly at the meeting point. The man arrived half an hour later than the stipulated time, and though Nair was a stickler for punctuality and he was hell irritated with this wait, he said nothing to the new arrival. Perhaps he couldn't, Aalekh mused as he followed the two to the accident site which was just a short distance away.

And it was then that Aalekh sprung into action. Taking a round turn, he followed the path which Abhimanyu had shown him earlier. It brought him within the hearing range of both the men. With quick and precise movements, he fixed the small but powerful camera on the trunk of a tree from where it could record the video of the activity happening in the valley and be recorded in the control room back in KMA.