ten: stars

Ethan's POV

"Where are we going?" Lexi asked as I pulled off of the highway and onto a narrow road. 

"Just be patient." I told her, recognizing the fields and few buildings around us. 

"Ethannn!" She whined, causing me to laugh.

"I'm not telling you." I told her. 

"Fine." She said, but I knew she had a smile on her face. I turned up the volume on the radio and the familiar intro to 'She Will Be Loved' by Maroon 5 began to play throughout the car. Lexi reached over and turned it up more. 

"I like this song." She said quietly. I continued down the long narrow road, feeling like we were in the middle of nowhere, yet I felt the familiarity to it. 

"I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pourin' rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved, and she will be loved..." Lexi sang along to the chorus. 

"Wow. You can really sing." I said to her. "Is there anything else I don't know about you?" 

"You never asked." She laughed. 

ABOUT AN HOUR LATER

"Okay, close your eyes." I told Lexi as I pulled off to the side of the road at the bottom of a grassy hill. I shut the car off and put it in park. 

"Why?" She asked, but doing as I said. 

"You'll see." I whispered, getting out of the car and shutting my door, and walking around to her side and opening her door.  She unbuckled her seatbelt and I took one of her hands, as she stepped out of the car. She took a few steps and closed the door. I locked it using my free hand before slipping the key into my pocket. I walked uphill, pulling Lexi with me, her eyes still shut. We reached the top and I looked up to see the millions, if not billions, of stars above us. 

"Open your eyes." I said, looking over at her. She did and immediately looked up. 

Lexi's POV

I looked at the sky and seeing all the stars glimmering against the darkness brought back a certain image in my head.

FLASHBACK

"I'm so glad you transferred to my school or else we never would've met..." I whispered, my head on his chest as we layed in the grass, looking up at the patterns and clusters of stars above.

"Me too... you're the best thing that's happened to me Lexi." He stated, running his hands through my hair.

"You really mean that? What about your brother?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. It was dark, not letting me make out his facial features clearly.

"I didn't have a choice with him. But you I did." He winked, causing me to playfully roll my eyes. I turned my attention back to the sky. White dots glimmered alongside little blue ones and pinkish red ones. Stars are so interesting if you really think about... I yawned, trying hard not to fall asleep.

"How about we go home now...?" He asked, as I nodded, sitting up before standing up and stretching. He intertwined his hand in mine as we walked down the hill to his vehicle. I got in the passenger seat, shivering from the cool evening air.

"Here babe," he said, handing me a sweatshirt of his that was in the backseat.

"Thanks." I leaned over the center console and gave him a kiss before pulling the cologne-scented sweatshirt over me and sitting back comfortably in my seat. I turned on the radio once the car was started, and hummed along to the songs playing until he stopped the car and turned to face me. I looked at him, his face blurry.

END OF FLASHBACK

And then it struck me: Ethan was the faceless, nameless boy in my dreams.

Ethan's POV

"Ethan..." She said quietly, her mouth slightly open. 

"This is insane." She finished her sentence. 

"Grayson and I found this spot the first night we moved here and come here whenever we need to think or need space." I told her, looking around just like the first time I was here, as the view never gets old. 

"This place is really special for you." She commented. 

"Yeah... it is." I smiled. She turned to face me, before wrapping her arms around my torso. I wrapped my arms around her neck. 

"Thank you E." She whispered so quietly, it was barely audible. 

"You're pretty special so I thought I should bring you to a special place." I said to her. She pulled away, looking at me. 

"Really? I'm that special?" She asked. 

"Of course, I mean Grayson is my number one, but you're easily my number two." I truthfully stated.

"You're my..." she thought for a moment, "number one." She smiled. 

"What about Madisyn?" I asked her.

"She's probably my number five." She shrugged. 

"Wow, I feel honored then." I laughed, causing her to laugh too. 

"You better." She joked, returning her attention to the sky. I noticed the way her long brown hair cascaded past her shoulders, and the simple gold necklace she was wearing, and the face that it had tiny little stars on it, ironically fitting the moment perfectly. She looked back to me and caught me looking at her. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, a small smile forming on her face. I glanced at her lips for a short moment before returning my gaze to her caramel colored eyes. 

"Eth-" She was beginning to say until I cut her off by pressing my lips to hers. She didn't hesitate to kiss back, as I put my hands on the sides of her face, just under her jaw, pulling her close to me. She wrapped her arms around my torso, deepening the kiss. It felt like time stopped and as cliché as it sounds, felt like there were sparks going off between us. Lexi pulled away, both of us out of breath. She looked at me, beginning to smile, as I leaned in again, Lexi's fingers burying themselves in my hair as her arms wrapped around my neck. My hands travelled to her lower back, her body melting into mine as we kissed. 

---A/N---

ahhh ive been WAITING to write this chapter :') 

it's about time the kiss happened

lexi