twenty-three: the last chapter

Lexi's POV

"Thanks for walking me back." I smiled at Jayden, the boy who I met at the party I just went to. I just got to Columbia today, and met one of my internet best friends, Olivia, who goes here. No sooner did I arrive with all my boxes of belongings, she dragged me to this party. Normally I would've let loose and had a couple drinks but I didn't want to go in the first place. That's when I found Jayden. He was in the same boat as me: standing in the corner alone. We started talking and I found out that his dorm was in the same hall as mine so we walked back together. I haven't unpacked really anything yet, and it was now just after eleven o'clock. 

"Of course. I'll see you around, Lexi." He smiled at me, causing me to blush a little before I stepped inside my dorm that I had all to myself. I shut the door behind me and let out a sigh, followed by a smile creeping onto my face. I had a good feeling about Jayden. 

I walked towards my bed, where a few boxes sat. I sat down in the middle and saw one of the open boxes beside me and noticed another box, this one black and white striped, inside. I pulled it out and brushed the thin layer of dust off from when it was sitting under my bed at home. We broke up in May which was now four months ago, and we haven't talked since in those four months. I still talk to Grayson a lot though. We've gotten really close. 

"I don't remember packing this..." I said out loud, as I took the top off and saw dozens of pictures inside. My mind was instantly flooded with memories. I picked up the first picture I saw. It was of Ethan and I on our Valentine's Day "date". 

"Here you go." The boy said, returning with a plastic red tray with our order on it. Ethan let go of my hand to carry our food and we walked over to an empty booth. I took one of the milkshakes and my burger, as did Ethan, before placing the fries between us.

"Happy Valentine's Day." Ethan said, raising his milkshake glass.

"Happy Valentine's Day, E." I smiled, as our glasses quietly clinked. 

"Oh, wait." I said, pulling my phone out of my purse, and clicking on the camera icon. 

"What?" Ethan laughed, as I held my phone up. 

"I just wanna remember this moment." I said quietly, taking a picture of him. 

I felt an ache in my chest as I set the picture down, and looked at the next one. It was a mirror picture of Ethan attacking me with kisses.

"Baby, you look fine. You look beautiful." Ethan said as I tried on what felt like the millionth outfit this morning. We were going out to breakfast with the rest of Ethan's family, and this was my first time meeting his parents. Ethan was standing in front of the mirror getting ready. 

"I'm just nervous okay?" I sighed in frustration. I grabbed my phone to check the time. We had twenty minutes until we had to leave. I walked into the bathroom and opened my phone to the camera, pointing it to the mirror so both of us were in view. Right when I took the picture, Ethan leaned over and planted a million kisses on my face, causing me to giggle. 

"Better?" He asked me. 

"Much." I nodded, kissing his cheek. 

I didn't realize I was tearing up until a teardrop landed on the photograph. I reached up and wiped them away but they kept falling. I pulled out the next picture hesitantly, and it was a picture of us cuddling. 

I took a deep breath in, inhaling the scent of Ethan. It was a Saturday morning and Ethan had slept over at my house. We had just woken up a couple hours ago and were watching old Nickelodeon reruns of iCarly and Victorious. Ethan had his arm wrapped around my waist, and my head was on his chest. 

"Hey baby."  He said, and I looked up to see his phone in his other hand. 

"What?" I asked, curiously. 

"I love you." He said, causing me to smile, and as I did, I heard the click of the camera. 

"Hey!" I said, giggling. "What was that for?" 

"I wanted to capture that beautiful smile forever." He said, running a hand through my hair as I put my head on his chest again. 

"And I love you too." I responded. 

At this point, I was full on sobbing. Ethan was the best thing to ever happen to me and he was gone. I quickly flipped through more pictures. Prom. Us kissing. Him smiling. Our hands together. I held the pictures tightly in my hands as I continued to cry. 

"Oh my god... I miss you so much." I said to myself, shaking my head, looking at another picture of him. 

Maybe I don't belong here and maybe I should've just stayed at home. If I hadn't come to Columbia then we would still be together. This all my fault...

Suddenly, I heard the familiar sound of a text notification come from the other side of the bed. I picked up my phone from beside me, and reached up, wiping my tears away. I unlocked my phone and to my surprise, I saw a message from a contact that I haven't called, nor texted, in four months.

I hesitantly clicked on the name and read the notification with a knot in my stomach.

New iMessage            1m ago
Ethan Dolan