His Last Vow: Part Seven

Wes and I rendezvoused with Sherlock just as the sun was starting to set. He was leaning against a tree right across from Leinster Gardens, right where he said to meet up. I felt nervous upon laying my eyes on him, and starting to think over and over again about how I was going to greet him. When he noticed our arrival the nerves grew, inciting a pain in my stomach, and my mind to race a bit. When I placed my hand on it to calm down, Wes seemed to notice.

"You alright?" He asked, and placed the load down. I nodded my head as Sherlock approached us.

"Yeah, just a little nauseous." I assured and then took a deep breath before addressing the detective. "So, what do you nee-"

"Wasn't expecting you to bring anyone, but it'll work out." Sherlock interrupted, whilst squatting down to open the projector.

"I told you on the phone that W- that Wes and I were together and coming. Not like, together, but like we had encountered each other in that moment and he was an extra pair of hands for transporting your requested package- to this... point." I babbled, and Sherlock raised an eyebrow.

"Right." Wes stated after a pause.

"Yes, well, what do you need us to do? I suppose climb the tree and mound it on a branch?" I asked, trying to diffuse the tension.

"Well, yes-" Sherlock stated, and squat down to tear open the box. Wes did the same and I heard the two in a speck of conversation.

"You didn't give her anything did you? "Sherlock asked under his breath, as if I couldn't hear.

"No sir, nothing." Wes deflected, and I felt flustered as I sighed, trying to release the nerves I felt in Sherlock's presence.

"Well, I'll start climbing then, find a good spot. "I told the boys and grasped the lowest branch to hoist myself up into a groove in the trunk of the tree.

"Be careful Aspen-"Sherlock warned, but I didn't look back, hoping the physical activity would flush the adrenaline out of my system. It was a weak looking tree, but I was able to get up to about three meters up before I was called from below.

"Aspen, are you sure you can do this? I can go up there just fine and help out just as much as you would." Wes suggested, and I looked down to see him holding the tech in his hands, while Sherlock tinkered with it. "Just concerned is all."

"And I appreciate that Wes," I began, and started to climb down after making a clearing from the leaves. "I could do this just as well as you thank you very much-"

Just as I was a halfway- about two meters above the ground, my foot slid and I lost my balance. I heard Wes call Sherlock, who looked up and Caught me by the waist, lowering the impact as I fell to the ground, and Sherlock with me.

"Are you alright, Aspen?" Wes asked, and put down the projector to sit at my eye level. I made eye contact with Sherlock, who still had me in his hands. He let go immediately, but not before I saw him blush. I looked to Wes, who was examining a small but significant cut in my knee, right over the cap.

"Wow, that's bleeding profusely." Wes said to himself, to my disgust at his word choice.

"Appears so, but there's a shop right down the block with medical supplies- go now." Sherlock Ordered. "You do that, and Aspen, stay right here and I'll do this myself." The detective reached in his pocket and brought out a small napkin. "Put that on you knee to slow the blood."

The boy followed suit, and Sherlock avoided my eyes as he climbed the tree and started to mount the projector on the clearing I caused. I winced at my injury, trying to stop it from bleeding with the napkin Sherlock provided. I looked down the street to see Wes walking in, and then back down at the ground before finally speaking. I just had to get it out while the two of us were alone.

"Sherlock," I began, unable to stop my words now. "Why did you kiss me the night of John's wedding?" I asked, feeling my face turn hot, and shut my eyes as he looked down at me.

"What?"

"It was weird and unlike you and stupid. Why did you do that?" I continued, then looked up at the now navy-blue sky as the sun set. I could tell I caught the detective off guard, but in my defence he had as well that night.

"Well, you were babbling endlessly, I had to get you to stop somehow." Sherlock stated in vain, for I heard a slight stumble in his words.

"Ever hear of 'Shut up, Aspen?' You used to be so fond of that statement." I retorted, and looked up at Sherlock, who started coming down the tree. He hopped down when he was no more than a meter from the ground, and faced me.

"It's just- It's killing me. I've known you for so long, and I know John feels this way too: just when we think we've got you figured out, you turn the tables on us, and that's what you did that night. I've had this happen and then they leave and nothing ever means anything and part of me wishes this could pass over- ugh, I'm sorry for babbling endlessly just- I want to get this out of the way before going forward." I adjusted the napkin on my knee, realizing that I had been putting immense pressure on it as a result of my speech.

I looked up, not afraid of him seeing my red-hot face, and noticed how lost in thought he was.

"Please Say something. Tell me you didn't mean it, it'll never happen again, insult my intelligence for even thinking of this, just don't act so speechless." I begged, but it was too late. Wes had come back, and got down to help.

"There we go, lets clean that up now." He aided, as Sherlock and I just looked at each other. I took in a sharp breath to calm my emotions and nodded in agreement with Wes. "I hope this doesn't hurt, the shop clerk said it wouldn't but he looked too old to feel anything so..." He looked at me with his dark brown eyes and then to Sherlock, as if he could tell something was wrong.

"Did you get it up there, Sherlock? The projector." He asked.

"Yes, I did. Thank you. Your services are no longer required." Sherlock finally spoke as Wes plastered a bandage on my kneecap carefully.

"Perfect. Let's go Wes." I said, and stood up.

"Wait, Aspen." Sherlock halted, touching my arm, "you should stay, you have to know what's going on, it has to do with John and Mary and-"

"Not interested. It's none of my business. And do take a breath Sherlock. You're starting to babble endlessly." I retorted. "I'll see you at home."