1.

*I'm not the type of girl for you
And I'm not going to pretend
I'm the type of girl you call more than a friend
And I break all the rules for you
Break my heart and start again*

.

.

.

Deep breaths, I told myself. Just another two years of high school and this will all be over. I will officially be off to college, get a whole new start and have a chance at the stuff that didn't really appeal to me my teenage years. 

I roll my eyes at myself standing in front of the mirror, realizing that I was talking to myself, again. My leggings stuck to my sturdy legs and I cringed at my outfit choice. Maybe I should have worn jeans instead of this polka dotted black dress.

"Azari!" I heard my little brother call from down the stairs. "Mom says you need to get your ass out of bed and get ready for school!"

"I am ready!" I shout back. And take one last look at myself in the mirror before descending down the stairs. To be honest, I had nothing special going on in my family. Just a very regular household, with a mom who is a housewife and my dad working as a consultant for a private firm. 

The smell of pancakes and scrambled eggs fills the air as I walk into the kitchen to find my brother helping mom for the very first time, setting the table.  My dad sat at the table scrolling through his phone and he didn't even look up when I greeted him, planting a kiss on his cheek. 

"Morning, dad. Morning, mum," I said and made my way to mom to kiss her too while she placed the last batch of pancakes on a plate. 

"Morning, sweetheart," Mom replied wiping her hands on her apron.

"You could give me a morning kiss too, you know," Noah, my brother, joked puckering up his lips and I grimaced. 

"Sorry, I don't want to catch a... a flu from you," I shot back but taking my time to think of a reply.

He rolled his eyes. "Real original sis!"

"Okay now you too," Mom took off her apron placing it on the kitchen counter and sat down at the table while Noah and I followed. Dad cleared his throat and finally put his phone down acknowledging his family. 

I quickly grabbed some pancakes and drizzled some honey onto them. 

"So son," Dad started with one his pep talks. "First day of high school. Don't be too nervous, you will have your big sister to show you around."

"I am not showing him around," I scoffed and Mom frowned at me. 

"Now come on Azari," Dad continued while Noah nodded to him and smirked at me. Ugh, Mom and Dad did not understand why I couldn't.

"Also, you're driving him to school," Mom added making both of us groan.

"No way," Noah quickly remarked. "I asked Connor to pick me up with his older brother."

"But what's wrong with going with your sister?" Dad argued, knowingly that it was useless to argue with my brother who always did what he wanted to.

"Can we all just have a nice, quiet breakfast for once?" Mum sighed and that shut everyone up.

That is how normally our breakfast went. And as much as it was annoying to me, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

My phone pinged as soon as I was done with my breakfast to see a text from my best friend, and probably my only friend, Lana Conway. 

You picking me up or nah? x

I smiled and quickly texted back saying I was grabbing my bag from one hand. Noah followed as we both stepped out the front door.