burdens

"I don't like this", Aaron sighed.

"I don't care."

They sat in front of each other at the kitchen table in Aaron's apartment. Emily had been there a few times before, yet it had always been easier for them to meet in the Prentiss' mansion.

Aaron had a day off and Emily had managed to get rid off Agent Miller, so they had decided to meet at his place to finally talk about the 'break'.

"Look, you know how sorry I am", he began. "I was so stupid and selfish, I thought that this break would make things easier for us, but it only made things easier for me."

Emily bit her lower lip, her eyes fixed on him. This was harder than she had imagined, especially after they had already kinda made up some days ago.

"It's okay", she then sighed.

"What?"

"What 'what'?"

"I only say one sentence and you're already forgiving me? We met here and sit in front of each other just for this?", Aaron asked, looking confused.

"Well, I'm still a bit mad at you", Emily replied. "But what did you expect me to do? To yell at you and to be dramatic, even though I obviously shared a bed with you a few times since you apologized for the first time. And we both know that I'm also guilty in all this mess - I mean - me being mad at you caused all this in the first place, so..."

He let out a light chuckle: "You're really weird, do you know that?"

"Well, I guess that's what you love about me", she shrugged.

"True", he smiled. "But I also love this dramatic side of you."

"Oh, so you want some drama?", Emily grinned. "I have plenty of drama with me all the time, so just let me know when you want some."

Both of them laughed heartily, both feeling so much better. It was like they had gone back to the beginning of their relationship, where they just used to fool around, without any fights and arguments.

Emily got up and walked around the table, finally being close to him. Aaron looked up to her as she cupped his face with her hands.

"I guess I have never loved someone that much before", she smiled.

"Trust me, I know that I'll never love anyone else as much as I love you", he replied and she grinned, before she leaned down and kissed him.

"There is actually another reason why I wanted us to meet at your place", Emily then said.

He furrowed his eyebrows: "Why's that?"

She walked over to her bag and pulled an envelope out of it. "This."

As she leaned against the kitchen counter, she nervously turned it in her hands. "After our very first conversation about this, I hadn't been able to get this thought off my mind. I thought - I just wanted to try, to do what I want. So yes - I sent my application to the FBI. And they sent me this back."

Aaron's eyes widened in surprise. "You really did it?", he whispered, filled with joy.

"Well, I wanted to what I want for once", she laughed nervously. "But I don't even know whether they want me. I wanted to open it with you."

"I can't believe it", he smiled. "You did it, I'm - I'm so happy, seriously, this is -"

"Calm down", she chuckled and handed him the envelope. "Can you read it first? Please?"

The agent nodded and carefully ripped it open. His hands were actually shaking lightly as he slowly read through the letter.

"What does it say?", Emily asked impatiently.

A wide smile formed on Aaron's lips. "They want you."

"Oh - oh my God, are you being serious?", his girlfriend exclaimed.

"Hell, yes!"

"Oh - my - fucking - God!", she croaked.

Immediately, Aaron got up and pulled her into a tight hug. "Congratulations, Em", he whispered. "I'm so proud of you -"

"Okay, stop", she smiled. "They just invited me to their approval test, there's nothing to be proud of yet."

"I'm proud anyways, no matter what's going to happen", he replied and a wide smile plastered on her face.

"Thank you."

She leaned against his chest as she read through the lines of the letter by herself for the first time.

"Oh God", she then whispered. "Oh, fuck!"

"What's wrong?", Aaron asked.

"Did you see the date?", she exclaimed.

"Yes, that's in two weeks, why?"

"That's my mother's birthday!"

Both of them stayed silent, just staring at each other in shook.

"Are you sure?", Aaron asked.

"Seriously?! I do remember my own mother's birthday, thanks", Emily snapped.

"I know, I know, sorry", he sighed. God, this was messed up.

"She's always having a huge party on her birthday", she mumbled. "The whole day has a planned procedure, from morning to evening. I won't be able to go to that test."

"I'll think of something", Aaron quickly said. "I promise, I will."

"Are you out of your mind?", Emily sighed. "You know my mother, so you should know that it's basically impossible to hide from her on her freaking birthday!"

"Just trust me", he replied. "You won't be gone for the whole day, just for some hours. I'd say about 4-5 hours, approximately. She won't even notice that you're gone, I'll make sure of that."

"You are insane", she gave him a sad smile. "This is never going to work. So many important people are going to be there, and she'll make sure that I'll meet every single one of them."

"Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do!"

"Good, that's everything I need for this", he smiled. "We'll make this work. We will."

He reached out and touched her hand lightly. In response, she smiled back and interlaced their fingers, before giving his hand a light squeeze.

"If you say so", she whispered.

The old Aaron Hotchner would have never done somethings as risky and as reckless as this, but the new Aaron Hotchner, a better man, who was so in love, would do everything to help Emily to reach her goals. No matter what it actually meant for his future.