chp. 14 : rudoplh the hard-nosed reindeer?

His arms flew to my side to steady me, but I was more worried for his chest. My nose probably made a dent with the force I was coming at.

My soul cried at this awkward scene as I quickly moved away from him. Just how awkward were things going to get?

"Are you okay?" I said, keeping my eyes on the ground, not daring to look up.

"Ha. I don't know, actually. I do know you have a pretty hard nose though. It's almost like-like you're a Rudolph! But instead of having a red nose, you have a hard nose!" He started laughing as if it was the most hilarious thing he ever thought of.

"Why, that is just too darn funny!" I said, giving him my best poker face, obviously not finding it funny at all.

"Haha, oh Jang Mi, why are you so awkward?"

"A-AWKWARD, ME?! You're the one who-"

"Who what?" He said, cutting me off. His eyes pierced through mine, as if he was daring me to say it. Oh heck no, there's no way I'm backing down! And besides, I wanted to confirm it for myself as well.

"You know, when you tried to...kiss me." The words felt so weird on my mouth as I said it, and I was quiet as I waited for his answer, looking anywhere but his eyes.

Then Kris took his finger and pulled my chin up, forcing my eyes on his. There were flecks of brown swirling in his wonderful eyes, that's how close I was. And just like yesterday, I was frozen in place.

"Jang Mi. I want you to know, I only see you as a friend. I wasn't trying to kiss you yesterday, not at all. There was a bit of dirt in your hair, that was all."

"O-okay, that's good!" I said hurriedly, moving away from his fingers, "I have to clean the bathroom if you don't mind." I brought my cleaning materials with me, but just as I was about to close the door, Kris held it for a while.

"Jang Mi, I didn't hurt your feelings or anything, right?"

"Yah! Why would you? I only see you as a friend! Who would like a guy like you anyway?!"

"Oh, okay." Kris said, breathing a sigh of relief as he left the door to close. Once the door was closed I dropped the little scrubbing sponge. Why was I feeling like this? Shouldn't I be happy? My mind was screaming HALLELUJAH. But my heart felt different. I have to sort out my feelings right here and right now. Okay Jang Mi, why are you feeling this way. I gave myself a mental talk. My mind replayed the time back at the park and how he gave me his hoodie, and after that how he was so close to me while checking the dirt in my hair. Okay, maybe that was it. Maybe after two years of not having a guy close to me like that did a number on my heart. I wasn't used to having a guy near me, that was all. So what I was feeling, it's natural. I don't like Kris at all.

I felt relieved when I finally came to that conclusion. As I scrubbed the tiled floor, I felt happier than I was minutes ago.

"Who knew cleaning the bathroom would give a girl such pleasure?" Kris said, standing right near the door, watching me. How long was he standing there, I didn't even hear the door open!

"Shutup Kris, I was thinking about something."

That bought his attention. "What were you thinking about? Me?"

I took my supplies and moved past him as I said, "Heck no Kris. You need to realize that the world does NOT  revolve around you!"

"It doesn't?!" Kris said in mock confusion. I rolled my eyes and put away my supplies and went straight to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water and gulped half of it down. I wiped my mouth with my sleve as Kris walked towards me until he was a bit too close to me.

"What?" I said cautiously.

Then out of no where, Kris hugged me and before my mind could register anything, I kicked him in the shin. Hard.

"AHH OUCH WHAT-WHAT THE HECK JANG MI!!!" He said, rubbing the now bruised area. He was lucky he was wearing jeans.

"Self-Defense." I said, shrugging. I mentally patted myself on my back for my ninja fast reaction. Now that I had realized I had no feelings for Kris, everything seemed so clear.

"I wasn't really hugging you, I was just testing something out! I wanted to make sure you really didn't have any feelings for me!" Kris said in a rush.

"I thought I already told you Kris, I don't. Try testing me again, and I'll test my taekwondo on you."

"Good," Kris replied to my threat, "because I'm going to leave to Prague in three months."