Chapter Four

'' So...you and Ashley have been talking for how long now? '' I asked Ayden as we walked down a brightly lit hallway, complete with stacks on stacks of guns in panels. The floors were tiled and waxed to complete smoothness, the walls white and dent-less. 

'' A year or so. '' he answered blankly, leading us to some random room. 

'' A whole year? '' I asked, my jaw dropping. '' Wow. I always thought she was up to some crazy nerd stuff. But to think she was talking to you? I'm shocked. '' I said, a small grin passing my face. Ayden glanced at me with the tiniest hint of humor in his coffee colored eyes, and I felt accomplished just at that. 

'' Mind telling me where we're going? '' Grayson piped up soon after I spoke, and Ayden opened one of many doors that was attached to the hallway. 

'' We're here. '' he said unemotionally, and backed away, disappearing down the hallway with the folded piece of paper, leaving us in the room that had an arrow pointing to another cracked door at the far side of the room. I began to question whether or not going in there was a good idea - so far mysterious doors had not been in our favor. 

Grayson strutted forward and swung open the door, his eyes widening in horror and shock. Inside, there was a fogged up purple room, with music blasting and people dancing every which way. A bar sat at the corner of the room, and the dance floor was jam packed. A few people were making out, but that didn't bother me much.

I stepped hesitantly inside, noticing a few alerted eyes going onto me, and then the whispering started. Grayson put his arm around my waist and led me to a corner, straight to the bar, and sat us down on a seat that swiveled and squeaked when you sat in it. Everything was luxurious, but what bothered me the most was that the room smelled of alcohol. 

The bartender had his back turned - he wore usual bartending clothes over a sky blue long sleeve jacket that fit perfectly over his skinny frame. He was rinsing off alcohol shaker cups, and his hair was tied into a bun at the back of his head, extremely frizzy. I longed to see what he looked like, and as he turned around, my heart dropped. Because he was actually a she. 

Her eyes were a brilliant, midnight brown, and shone in the dance light. Her face was dark brown and perfectly sculpted, and she was very, very tall with long legs and slightly long arms. My face went blood red from the neck up in the pale dance light, and I looked down, shifting away from Grayson's hold. '' Can I get you anything? '' her voice was dangerously light and somewhat intimidating over the music. She sounded very sarcastic, but otherwise pleased to be in her position. My only problem was the fact that everyone in this place seemed to be eighteen.

'' Uh, well, you see, I'm only fourteen, so, sorry..'' I stammered, completely losing my senses in the thick fog of what smelled like weed mixed with alcohol. She didn't notice my out of order personality, because she smiled and set the mixer down.

'' Me too, '' she beamed, and my eyes went wide. 

'' You look...older. '' I chuckled nervously, '' I thought you couldn't be a bartender until you were eighteen? '' 

'' Yeah, well, we don't really abide by the law here, so, screw it. '' she smiled, grabbing a bottle of clear liquid from the shelf behind her and pouring it into a small shot glass, scooting it towards me. 

'' Oh, no no no, I don't- '' her eyes met mine, and I felt my throat go dry. Turning to Grayson with a pleading look, I noticed he wasn't there, but on the other side of the room with a pale, brown haired girl with glasses. Ugh, great. My personality slowly seeped back into place as the fog dimmed, and I stood up. '' Look, miss. I didn't come here to do some underage drinking, I came here to ask if- '' just then, the door to the room burst open, and in came a familiar face. Turning to Grayson, I saw his eyes go wide at the same time mine did. 

'' Ethan? '' I heard Grayson shriek. 

'' Jae, how good it is to see you! '' Ethan beamed and yelled loudly, hurrying over to me with a short girl and a medium-height boy at his side. 

I turned to the bartender, and she met my eyes with shock. '' Wait - you're Jae? '' 

'' Huh? ''