Chapter Seven

As the sun went up, I stared out of the window, sitting on my bed of the pastel blue room I had in the house. The walls were pastel blue, so was the ceiling, and the floors were soft white carpet. The bed was king sized and had a white mattress, dark blue comforter, and white pillows. There was drawings, paintings, and pictures of our group nailed into the wall, and the ceiling was dappled with glowing stars. 

Cop sirens could be heard outside of the house, and I traced shapes on the fogged window, sighing as a knock came at my door, which had a '' KEEP OUT OR DIE '' sign on the outside in red and black font. '' Come in, '' I called out, and in walked Grayson, his hair tousled and his eyes sleep-ridden. 

'' Have you gotten any sleep at all? '' he asked with a yawn, and I shrugged, keeping quiet and looking back out at the window. I crossed my legs and leaned against the glass, feeling the bed shift as Grayson sat down at the edge. '' Look at me, '' he said suddenly, and I glanced over at him, feeling a bit self conscious. He examined my face and sighed. '' You haven't slept in days-''

'' How would I? '' I suddenly said, jerking my head away. Grayson flinched and scooted back, as if afraid I'd hit him. '' You're afraid of me, '' I said, hurt, and turned away. '' You all are. What do you think I'll do? '' I growled quietly, getting up. '' HIT you?! '' I jerked towards Grayson, fists up. He cowered into the wall, flinching. I laughed a disappointed kind of laugh and shook my head, walking out. 

'' J-''

'' Stay. Here. '' I growled, angry tears brimming in my eyes. I grabbed my sweatshirt and pressed my hand into the second lock of the thick metal doors, walking out and letting them slam behind me. 

Entering the bright Saturday morning with humid wind hitting my face, I coughed a little and walked through brambles and thorns, shoving some into my hand in the process. I arrived out onto a crowded street, tilting my head. The streets weren't usually this busy. Eager to see what it all was about, I slid past gaps between resting cars and got to the front, where two cars had smashed together, blood in the front, broken window. 

A family of two stood behind the car with the bloody window, and a whole army of cops stood around them, their lights flashing menacingly in the daylight. One of the two, a small boy with blonde hair and big, hazel-green eyes, about my age, looked at me, his freckled face showing fear and regret. The stab of sympathy someone would've felt didn't come, and I sighed, looking away and ignoring the look of hurt on the boy's face. 

'' Four confirmed dead, over, '' I heard a few cops say, reporting through walkie-talkies over and over. Bored now, I walked over to the boy, tilting my head at him. He looked up at me in silence, and waited for me to speak. 

'' What's your name? '' I asked in an obviously forced sweet-talk tone, and the boy was too shocked to catch on.

'' Jayden, '' he said quietly, finally focusing his eyes on me instead of staring blankly. Emotion flooded his large, scared eyes and he frowned, his lower lip trembling. 

'' Okay, Jayden, mind telling me what happened? '' 

The boy explained dazedly how his mother hadn't been paying attention while taking him to school and had rammed into another car dead-on, killing the four that sat in the front, apparently going on a trip, presumed due to the large amount of suitcases and snacks in the car, though now covered in fresh blood, which made the air reek of salt and death. '' I see, '' I said after he was done, and reached into my pocket, giving him a one-hundred dollar bill. '' Tell your mom to get you a good therapist. Believe me, this stuff never goes away. '' I turned to leave, but stopped when a weight tugged on the left sleeve of my sweatshirt. I turned around, and saw Jayden tugging on my sleeve. '' What now? '' I asked, sighing heavily. 

'' Take me with you, '' he frowned, his eyebrows furrowed in horror, his expression traumatized. '' Please. ''

'' No. '' I said immediately, jerking my sleeve away from him. Now his mom, a tall lady with scared features and long black hair, was staring at us, alerting a few police, too. '' Just - no. '' I breathed, taking off my sweatshirt and pulling it over my head to hide my face, walking calmly off into the thick trees, disappearing.