Chapter Ten

When it comes to the fight there's no honor, no code. All that matters is the win and we take nothing for granted. The boys have the exits covered, there's nowhere to run. I'll offer them peace first, a chance to surrender on my terms, something they will of course refuse. Then the first blow comes, a single sniper shot in their leader's head. Then the negotiation restarts with the second in command. Perhaps it isn't a fair fight, but isn't that a strange concept anyway? I always leaned toward short and brutal to curb the fatalities, maximize the fear and thus my power base. After all, what's the point of winning if there's no-one left to subjugate?

  I didn't know who threw the first punch, but suddenly my fist was slamming into his face while he sunk into my stomach. Blood pooled in his mouth as I gagged. We stumbled apart for a brief second to catch our breaths before diving back at each other, eyes narrowed in determination.
I dodged his fist and came up with my own; for a brief instant, his cerulean blue eyes widened before he managed to tilt his head back and slam it into mine. Stars burst in my vision but I shook it off, blindly throwing a sloppy kick.
He stepped back, easily evading the kick. "Is that all you got?" he crowed, smirking infuriatingly at me. I growled and threw myself at him, changing direction at the last minute.
My blood hummed in my veins as determination and anger took over.  

I was hardly aware of what was happening, but I had never punched anyone as hard as I did to him before, so I was incredibly surprised at the pain that blazed up my arm as my fist connected with his jaw. 

  He threw his body weight behind the fist that edged closer to my face, it hit my jaw with such force blood pooled into my mouth. Pain erupted from the point of impact. With my own two hands I grasped his head in my hands and brought my knee cap up to his nose, there was a blunt crack and I released his dark haired head. Crimson leaked from both his nostrils and his nose was twisted right. He drew his fist back again and it plowed into my stomach, it was like hitting a train head on. My guts smashed together, blood vessels bursting. I repaid this by punching his jaw, my fist collided with all my body weight. I continued this battering until he fell to the floor. His chest gently rose and sank with each shallow breath he drew in.  

My father lay, on the ground, in a dripping circle of his own red hot blood. I could only stare, until the breath left from me, and I collapsed.

  The pain was like a knife being twisted in my spine. It shoots up fast, erasing every thought from my head and paralyzing my body. Apparently I screamed, but I don't recall that part, only the pain. It couldn't have lasted long though, the screaming, because by the time the paramedics arrived my speech could only come out in faltering gasps as I struggled to make my brain listen to their voices and respond with something appropriate. Grayson was kneeling by me - I remember that - stroking my hair over and over, saying it would be alright with a voice that betrayed his tears. There was no kind way to move me onto the stretcher. I am told I passed out for a time and I suppose that was a blessing. I've never felt anything so sweet as that morphine, taking me away onto a cloud of the purest nothing.