Twelve

Noelle

 "There she is." Ashton announced as I approached his porch with Luna.
"I figured it was time to get out. Luna is starting to hate the back yard." I smiled at him, sitting down on the stairs. 
"You can join us today? I could use the company." I beamed. He gave me a half smile back, tilting his head, looking at me before nodding.

"You aren't just hanging out with me out of pity, are you?" I asked with a small laugh as I climbed into his front seat.
"I didn't have to offer you a ride to class, I did because I wanted too." He retorted as he started up the car. He grabbed the aux cord and handed it to me.
"Here, we'll stop and get breakfast too." He said, pulling off. I plugged in my phone and put Spotify on shuffle.
"This is a good song." Ashton commented as Eastside by Halsey and Khalid came on. I looked over at him momentarily before turning it up. I leaned up against the window and smiled, looking out the window, mouthing the words as we sat in comfortable silence; just the music playing.

"I'll meet you right here after class okay?" Ashton said, opening up my door for me.
"Don't leave me stranded here." I joked, nudging him as I tightened the grip on my bag.
"Wouldn't think of it." He winked, ruffling my hair before walking the other direction. I stared in his direction before turning the other way and walking to class.

I missed Luke like crazy, but when Ashton was around it was like I forgot all about him. I just wanted to be near him all the time. Even if we became nothing more, I just wanted him around me. He brought peace to my life. Like he was the missing part I need; my serenity. 

I sat at one of the benches and put my earbuds in, waiting on Ashton to finish up with his work so we could go home. I pulled out my laptop and started working a little on my assignment for that week before I felt someone tap my shoulder. I looked up and smiled, coming face to face with Ashton.
"Hey." I beamed causing him to laugh, making me realize I still had my earbuds in and I must have been screaming.
"You didn't hear none of the cute things I said to you." He pouted jokingly as I packed my laptop away.
"I'm so sorry." I teased, running my thumb over his cheek. I bent down and grabbed my bag, turning back to Ashton.

"Come on lets get going." He rushed me some and I gave him a weird look and began following his gaze before he grabbed my hand and pulled me to face him.
"Ashton stop acting weird." I stared at him before turning back to where his attention once was. 
"Noey, come on." He whispered, tugging me as I felt the last of my breath leave my chest. I couldn't move my gaze from the sight of Luke and Avery together. He had never once picked me up from class. Never once hugged me the way he hugged her or kissed her. I felt Ashton's hands grip my waist from behind and he turned me around, slowly pushing me to the car.

"I'm sorry Noey." He said as I quickly wiped the tear that fell.
"It's okay. I'm okay." I said, smiling weakly at him.
 He looked at me like I had just broken his heart.
"Wanna go get some milkshakes? Maybe something to eat?" He offered and I nodded.
"I wanna go home and shower first. Collect myself. I'm sorry I never cry in front of people." I laughed nervously as I wiped my eyes once again.
"You're okay." He gripped my hand tightly and brought it to his lips. 

Ashton dropped me off at my house and told me he would be back to get me at seven o'clock sharp. I went inside and cleaned up the house before going up to my bedroom. I walked over to my desk and unlocked the top drawer, pulling out the bottle of whiskey. I opened up the bottle and heard a text come through. I sat the bottle down and picked up the phone. 

Ashton- remember 7 o'clock, don't make me have to come in and get you. 

I smiled and twisted the cap back on tightly to the bottle, grabbing some clothes and making my way to the bathroom. I took a hot shower and thought about all the things I loved about Ashton, from his smile to his laugh to his kind heart. I didn't want to think about Luke anymore, I didn't want to cry over him anymore.

Seven o'clock rolled around and I locked up my house, waiting on Ashton. He smiled as he walked up the path to my front porch.
"We're gonna take a walk." He stated loudly, outreaching his hand to me. I happily took it and followed along his side. I stared up at him as we walked and I smiled, looking back at the ground.
"We should've brought Luna." He commented as we continued into an ice cream shop.
"She was asleep when I was leaving, she's been staying up with me at night so I wanted to let her sleep."
"You treat her like your child." He laughed.
"She basically is. I found her on the side of the road when she was a little tiny puppy." I told him with a smile.

"What's next?" I asked as we walked some more, hand in hand. He shrugged and he pulled me closer. My eyes flickered over to a familiar car and I gasped loudly.
"That's Luke's car." I commented, looking into all the nearby shops, seeing him with Avery at the café across the road.
"Noey, what are you doing?" Ashton whisper yelled at me, looking around frantically as I crept over to it. I took the lid off the remainder of my shake and threw it at his windshield before, turning back and taking Ashton's hand.
"Come on." I laughed, pulling him with me as we ran down the street.

"That was vandalism." Ashton commented as we stopped and caught our breath. I laughed uncontrollably as I held my stomach.
"At least something made you smile. I've been waiting to see that." He rambled as I pulled him to me and wrapped my arms around his neck.
"What's our next stop?" I questioned as I kissed him on his cheek and placed my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms tightly around my waist and we just sat there swaying for a moment.
"There's a lake nearby." He mentioned quietly. I looked up at him and let him lead the way.