IV

*huff*"127" *huff*"128"*huff*"129"
.
.
.

"Ugh! 130!" I just finished my set of warm up squats. Next I have to run 20 miles in 5 minutes or under.

My record is 2:07, and that's a pretty good time considering I'm not completely at the speed of sound yet.

The speed of sound is 767 mph. I'm only able to run at 567 mph. That's why I'm running as fast as I can and doing so many squats, it's to strengthen my legs so I can run faster for longer.

I've been training with the old man (Uncle Axel) for months now, and the entrance exam is in two days. Tomorrow I'm doing a special test with him to see where I'm at and if I'm ready. I have no idea what it is or if I'm gonna be able to make it out alive, but at the moment I'm training by myself. The old man had some gang work to do. Not like I care, so I get back to my training.

I bend down and place my hands on the dirt, getting in to a racing stance. I shift my body weight on the balls of my feet, ready to spring foward.

The route I'm taking is the way back to my house because I do a race before and after training.

I reach for the stop watch around my neck. I place my finger on the start button. Then count down in my head.

1.....

2....

I take a deep breath then relax my body.

3!

I take off simultaneously pressing the button to start the clock.

I know I'm running at about 567mph right now. I try and run faster and move my legs more.

I'm doing this training for a reason.
I never want to not make it in time to help someone ever again.

There's a tight pull in my chest. I grip the fabric of my shirt over my heart. Guilt, regret, depression, and grief start to creep over my body for a moment, but I frantically shake them off.

I don't have time to feel bad I need to push myself more than ever these next 2 days.

I see my house just ahead. Sprinting as fast as I can, I skid to a stop right at my door. Eagerly, I pull the watch off my neck, but cover my time. A nervous sweat washes over my body. I know to other people it may look like I'm getting worked up over nothing, but to me this means a lot because I want to be the best and the fastest. At one point when I was younger I could run at the speed of sound with no problem. However, after the incident I became depressed because I lost the most important person in my life, and angry at my parents even though I killed them. I don't remember ever doing that though. I just remember feeling my body move but I wasn't the one moving it. Almost as if someone else took over but I was still conscious of the world around me. I just wasn't able to do anything. My quirks reminded me of them so I never used them unless absolutely needed. Days formed into years and I had no reason to use my quirks, so they dulled and became the sad quirks you saw a few months ago. But I trained hard and I'm now almost at the speed I want.

I need my time to be at least 1:34 for that to mean I was at 767mph (speed of sound).

With trembling hands I moved my thumb to see my time.

I could hear my heart in my ears and feel my stomach in my throat. I slowly peeked at the time with one eye, they both opened wide from surprise.

My time was 1:34! That means I made it to my goal! Yes! I'm so happy right now. I can now say that I am able to run at the speed of sound.

Satisfied with what I accomplished today I go in the shower and let the warm water flow over my aching body. I let out a soft sigh.

The shower is where I do most of my thinking besides my bed, so I start to wonder what kind of training test I'll be doing tomorrow with the old man.