The Voice Has a Face

“You’re pathetic. Stop moping around and do something about it!”

          The air was hot, and smelled like burnt rubber. A loud pounding sounded from above, almost like footsteps. I coughed violently, feeling something in my lungs. It was like water, filling up and restricting any breath I could take in. My body was lying on some floor, but it wasn’t anything that looked familiar.

          “Look at you. Lying there, taking everything I’m giving you.”

          I lifted my head, seeing someone standing in front of me. My body felt like it was being kicked over and over again. The stranger chuckled darkly, stepping closer. The more they came into view, the more familiar they became. The voice rang through my ears, and I began to realize who it was. It was me, but it wasn’t at the same time.

          The man was an exact copy of me, but with an evil smile stretched across his face. I slowly got to my feet, feeling like weights were tied to me. The man laughed again, shaking his head. “Are you going to pay attention to me now?” Every time it spoke, it was a loud, trembling voice that echoed throughout every part of my body. I couldn’t take my eyes off of its eyes. They were my exact color green, only with something evil that shined through them.

          Did I look that mad?

          The man shook his head as if reading my mind. “Stop trying to figure me out. I already told you that I’m you. The real you. The person that you don’t want to let it. I’m here now, and you can’t keep pushing me away anymore,” It said with a chuckle. I raised an eyebrow, watching it walk closer. I refused to give it a name. It wasn’t me, and it wasn’t a human. It was the body of the voice that I kept hearing.

          “Wanna hear a secret?”

          I didn’t respond. It chuckled again, this time louder and darker. The strange thing didn’t scare me. It only made me curious as to what it was. Either this was a scary dream, or this was its way of contacting me. I don’t even remember falling asleep. Whatever was going on, I wasn’t going to let what it said get to me.

          “I’m guessing that’s a yes,” it mumbled with a smirk. I rolled my eyes, still not afraid of whatever this thing was. It seemed to notice my calm attitude, and chuckled again. “I know every single thing about you. Even things that haven’t happened, will happen, or will not happen. I’m the reason you can’t forget your past.” I continued to stare at it with confusion. Everything he was saying I didn’t understand.

          “I’ll let you in on another secret that I really shouldn’t tell you.”

          I listened closer this time, lifting my head enough to watch how it reacted. The man smirked again, mocking me. I sneered, ignoring the urge to shut him up. If there was something that he knew, I needed to hear it. Without noticing it, the strange thing began to smile. It felt odd, and I even looked around to make sure nothing was going on around me.

          I didn’t trust whatever it was, or whatever it was trying to be.

          “You’re so paranoid. I just want to talk.”

          The closer it inched, the more I stepped back. It chuckled, laughing and mocking me again. It laughed again and again. Laughing was the only thing it could do. Certainly not very intimidating. I rolled my eyes. “You’re afraid? And here I thought we’d become friends.” Now, it was my turn to laugh. “Yeah, and I thought you were only a stupid voice,” I mumbled.