Being Friendly to the Enemy

“What do you want?”

She smirked, leaning against the doorframe. Her eyes were still a bright shade of blue, which was a good sign. Any other man would find her long, wavy blonde hair and tight dress sexy. I found it disgusting. Everything about her was revolting, except for her smell. She smelled like something I couldn’t describe. I held my breath, thinking it was part of her power.

“You’re very aggressive. Anyone ever tell you how to be nicer to a lady?” She chuckled. She pushed passed me, walking into my office. Watching her closely, she plopped down on the desk, smirking over at me. She raised an eyebrow, pushing up her skirt a bit. Raising my own, I stayed near the door. I knew what she was trying to do. This time it wasn’t going to work. I refused to let her charm falter me now. Even though my body tried to refuse it, I stayed as far away from her as possible.

You have to play around with her. If she thinks you’re not fighting back, she won’t have to try too hard.

It did have a point. I rolled my eyes. When you have a job to do, you have to do shit you don’t like. She continued to stare at me until I started to approach her. She smirked, seeing me walk towards her. “There he is,” She chuckled, “I like it when you listen much better.” I rolled my eyes. She giggled, crossing her long legs. The guns I had been given were pushed under my desk. When I approached her, I figured out the fastest way to get to them if things got ugly.

“Now, I know yesterday we got off on the wrong foot. I’m sorry for speaking to you so rudely.”

An innocent smile crept across her thin lips. The fake smile proved nothing. I knew all those words were bullshit. The apology was only to bring me further in. Like one small apology can wash away all the pain she caused. I tried to suppress a laugh as she started speaking again. “Let’s try to get on better terms this time. How does that sound?” She asked.

I raised an eyebrow. Better terms? She has another thing coming if she thinks I’ll do that. Shut up. This can benefit us both. I know the voice is sometimes right, but on this it wasn’t. Why would I try to be nice to a vampire that was the cause for all my problems? That would be just as bad as getting my old damn job back. But the more I tried to push the thought away, it kept coming back.

Listen to me! This could be our ticket out of this rut! She wants you, right? Well, be friends with her, or more if that’s what she wants. Once she trusts you, we can stab her in the back. It’s the perfect plan!

Thinking to myself, I realized it was a good plan. But I didn’t trust her. She would catch on very fast. Plus, I’m not a very good actor. Yes, but you’re a good liar. I shrugged, seeing the confusion on the vampire’s face. I sighed, folding my arms across my chest. “What ‘better terms’ are we talking?” I asked. The vampire smiled, reaching her hand out. She ran a finger over my arm, looking up at me.

“Just… let’s start over. I know we’ve had some… disagreements and such.”

“I wouldn’t call destroying my life a disagreement.”

She chuckled, shaking her head. Her small fangs poked out of her red lips. They were a bright white, glittering over the rest of her teeth. Every time she smirked, one would gently poke out. When the light hit her face just right, you could see a small twinkle from it. She ran her tongue across it, dropping her hand. The sparkle in her eyes were making me feel uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry, Booker. I just wanted to be the only one in your life,” She said with a wink. The anger inside me grew and grew with each word she spoke. But I couldn’t let her get to me. This wasn’t going to be easy, but I had to lie to her. Just do like you always do, I told myself. I breathed in deeply, clenching my shaking hands into tight fists. My blood boiled, but I had to stay strong. This was a perfect plan. I couldn’t ruin it just because of my anger.