The Decision to Change

Two months have passed since I made up my mind. I haven’t figured out anything else other than a few important details about this so called ‘organization’. It didn’t take any snooping to figure out that the documents I had seen were for some kind of camp. For what that was, I wasn’t entirely sure. Whenever I tried to figure it out, Cash wouldn’t let me get any closer, or no one would leave. Besides, it wasn’t any of my business anymore. They didn’t bother me after I told them I had gotten rid of their prime suspect. No one wanted to believe it, but they had to.

          It was hard to get around Cash. No matter where I went he followed me, wanting details about how I killed her, where I did it, what I did it with. Eventually, I had to scare him off and make him hate me. Whenever he was dealt with, it was easier to get things done. Not that I had much to do anymore. With them off my tail, I could finally get the peace and quiet I wanted. Just in a different way now than before.

          “What exactly did you tell them?” Angel asked, staring down at her hands. She’d sat in the same spot for several hours, talking about nonsense. It seemed like she wanted to avoid talking about something. I looked up at her, raising an eyebrow. I hadn’t even talked about that in days. “Why does it matter?” She lifted her eyes, the thin frown on her lips a bit frightening. She growled softly, shaking her head slowly. Someone wasn’t in a very good mood.

          “It’s about me, isn’t it? Therefore I have a right to know.”

          I sighed, rubbing my temples. Her temper wasn’t something I wanted to deal with right now. “Just that you’re dead.” She raised an eyebrow. I knew her question before she asked it. “I killed you,” I grumbled. She nodded, jumping to her feet. The sound of her pacing the room showed her anxiety. Must’ve been why she wasn’t so happy. Her eyes skimmed the room, and she quickly turned around and sighed. It was too easy just to ask what was going on in the head of hers.

          “I guess that’s good,” She mumbled, “They won’t be coming after me anymore. I guess I should say thanks.” I shook my head, but she wasn’t looking at me anymore. She walked away, her eyes shifting out the window. She folded her arms over her chest, shaking her head. She was acting pretty strange today, but maybe it was something about them that I didn’t know. Or it wasn’t them at all.

          Angel let out a sigh, turning around and flashing the fakest smile I’d ever seen her give me. “Enough about that. What’s been on your mind?” She asked. I chuckled, shaking my head. She did always find a way to leave me confused. I stood up, walking over to her. “A lot of things.” She nodded, reaching for my hand. Instead, I pulled her close by her waist and kissed her forehead. She sighed, closing her eyes. The somber look on her face was enough to calm me down. Even if it were just for a moment.

          “What kind of things?”

          I let out a slow sigh. I didn’t want to talk to her about all the things going on in my mind. But if I didn’t tell her, she’d figure it out eventually. “You,” I mumbled. She giggled, looking up at me with a smile. “Oh really?” I nodded, running a hand through her hair. Angel smiled again, but this time it was a little different. Her smile was always beautiful. Even now, when she had something behind it, she was breathtaking. I pulled her closer, kissing her softly. She kissed back, but almost immediately started speaking again. “Have you been thinking about us?” She asked. The way her words sounded so slow and soft hinted that she knew what I’d been thinking. I nodded, but hesitated more than I’d wanted.

          She chuckled, kissing me again, this time longer before she spoke. “I knew you’d eventually think about it. Is it for the right reasons?” She asked. I chuckled, looking into her florescent eyes. I knew she was afraid that I’d turn on her, but I was in too deep now to destroy her. Besides, she did say that it was still unknown to her if I’d be strong enough to kill her. The latter is much more impossible than the original plan. The temptation might be strong, though.