Saying Goodbye

Well, are yah happy with yourself now? You did what you were supposed to do, but for what? Can you honestly say that was worth it?

          The sound of its irritating nagging woke me up suddenly. I grumbled under my breath, sitting up slowly. “What the hell are you talking ab…” Remembering what had happened the night before, I let out another sigh. Nothing came to me at first. Nothing could come to me at first with the irritating voice in my head. I never could get any peace for the start of the morning because of it. I hadn’t even gotten a change to think it over myself without its stupid nagging.

          I’m just trying to figure you out. First, you agree with me that we should get close to her. I do have to admit, I told you to stop being a baby and just give in to her. But I didn’t meant to let her brainwash you!

          “What are you…? Who’s brainwashed?”

          You are stupid! Did you not hear your thoughts? Oh... right... you were under her thoughts the entire time! Should I repeat some of the things I heard?

          “Not necessary.”

          The voice continue to rumble with a string of curse words and more irritating tones. Rubbing my temples, I quickly got to my feet. There was no sign of Angel, but a small note lay beside me. Picking it up, I let my eyes skim over the handwritten script on the page. The paper smelled like her, but I tried to ignore that long enough to read the letter. Even though it was difficult and many thoughts of last night came back, I was able to read the letter quickly.

          Dearest Booker,

Last night was wonderful. Thank you for finally giving me the one thing I always wanted. Not just that… but your attention. I’ll be coming by later to see you. Don’t forget about me!

          I sighed deeply, trying to ignore the warmth I felt in my chest after reading the letter. See what I mean! Rolling my eyes, I quickly set the note aside, going to find my bottle of whiskey. After last night, I needed a few drinks to help clear my head. Even though I was still unsure about everything, I did know that something was changing. After reading that letter I realized my feelings were different now. The voice was definitely right about something.

          We need to get you away from her! Fast!

          I shook my head, sipping the whiskey. There was no way I was leaving. For starters, I wanted to see her again. A part of me missed her already. Besides, leaving so quickly will give her a reason to become angry. I knew how great that went last time. The voice didn’t want to admit I was right at first, but eventually it had to. I was thinking clearly now that I had a few sips of alcohol in my system. I thought about last night over and over again. Every time I tried to recall something, all I could remember is how I felt. How Angel made me feel. Just how soft her skin and lips felt against my own.

          “It’s impossible,” I mumbled to myself. It must’ve not been too impossible if I was feeling this now. All I could imagine was the both of us… in bliss that I had never even felt before. How could someone just forget about that? Even a man like me couldn’t push that thought away. Angel was special. There was no denying that. But it was hard to believe that she was special for something different than just her vampire powers.

          On the inside, I didn’t care if it was her powers. I wanted her after that night. I needed her more than anything. To touch her again sounded like heaven to me. That’s a lot to say, coming from a ‘tough’ man like me. Either way, I was tired of being alone. Angel gave me a different company that I had missed and didn’t even know it. I might have pushed Rayna away, but that was just so I could see something else. Something that was different than a friendly relationship. I’ve enough of those in my lifetime to know they usually don’t work. Especially, with men like me and the baggage they carry.