Chapter Fifteen

My first actual date with Harry. I smile a little to myself, and look through my nice dresses to find the usual, nothing. I get to the very back of my closet, when a short dress catches my eye. It is sparkly and silver on the bodice, the skirt is a pretty sapphire color, and made of tool. It rests just above my knee, and I think Harry will enjoy the sweetheart neckline. It fits perfectly, and I actually like it alot. I pair it with high black velvet wedges, and curl my hair, making it bouncy. In my eyes, I look okay. I tuck my silver clutch under my arm, and walk into the kitchen, where Kayla sits at the dining room table. It's 3:50, and Harry said he wouldn't be here until four. Lovely. I get to go through ten minutes with my accusatory sister.

"Are you..uh, going to eat?" she asks me, and I avoid eye contact with her. I focus on my perfectly polished red nail, and chip them a bit.

"I'm going to dinner with Harry." I tell her, and use the reflecting surface of the microwave door to apply mascara.  "So no."

"Of course you are." she mutters, and I narrow my eyes at her.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask through gritted teeth, shifting my weight.

"I mean, you always go out with Harry. It didn't mean much." she shoots back, crossing her arms over her chest.

"If you have a problem with Harry just say it." I snap, stuffing my cell phone into my clutch.

"I don't recall saying that." she taps her chin in thought, before shaking her head. "Nope. I didn't say that."

"Christ Kayla, I don't know why you're acting this way, or what Harry did to make you think so terribly of him, but you better fuck off, it's getting annoying." I spit, and she laughs dryly.

"Me? Acting different? Whatever Jenna. You are different." she fires back, and groan, rolling my eyes at her.

"I'm not different Kayla."

"Oh really? Since when do you say to "fuck off "? Or I don't know, date guys with piercings and tattoos?" she raises her eyebrows.

"Don't bring Harry into this. He has done nothing but care about me since day one. You can't insult him when he isn't here to defend himself." I growl, my voice low and menacing.

"All you do is defend him. And I don't get why. All he wants is to get into your pants!" she yells, and I jump.

"He does not! Harry he-he cares about me! Unlike everyone else around here, he understands me. He's cares about me more than you and Dad combined!" I shout back, and she shakes her head like I've lost it.

"That isn't true Jenna! Nobody will ever care about you the way that me and Dad do!"

"Bullshit! You could give a shit less Kayla! And Dad doesn't even know what we had for dinner last!" I scream. "You're just jealous that somebody actually likes me and not you!" she laughs dryly. I will not stand for this any longer.

"Whatever! I am certainly not jealous of you! If anything, you are jealous of me! You always have been!" she spats.

"Name one time! One time when I have ever been jealous of you!"

"Mom loved me more than you!" she says mockingly. That was a low-blow. She knows how I feel on the mom subject, and evwn though I know she's speaking out of anger, it still hurts. There is a pounding at the door, but I stand still.

"You're a true bitch Kayla!" I yell.

"Slut!"

"Whore!" the door is opened, and Harry walks in, wide eyed, and alarmed. He must have heard us. He walks up next to me, and I can't even have the pleasure of admiring how handsome he looks. He is in a white button up, with his ink visable undersneath, and his signature black skinny jeans, and boots. His hair is pushed up off his forehead. It is clear he used something to hold it there, because it doesn't fall into his eyes when he walks.

"Speak of the devil." Kayla mumbles under her breath, and I start for her. I'm going to kill her. Harry catches me by the waist, and pulls me to his chest, telling me to calm down.

"I swear to god, if you say one more thing about Harry, I promise I will fucking kill you." I spit, pushing Harry off of me, and smoothing my curls. "I don't even know who you are anymore Kayla." I know I should be in full on tears by now, but I am so angry, and my adrenaline rush is massive, so I just stare at her, and she stares back. Harry leans into my ear.

"Babe, we should go." he whispers, and I nod solemnly. He laces his fingers through mine, and gently pulls me away from my sister. I get to the doorway, and a small quiet voice speaks.

"I'm sorry Jenna." it's clearly Kayla, and my breathing hitches. I want fo forgive her, and tell her that I'm sorry too, but I'm not. I don't regret any of it. So I decide to pretend I didn't hear it, and slam the door behind me.