Sadie

A week goes by.

I wish I could talk to Walt. Or I wish I could talk to Anubis in my dreams. I just want to be back with my friends in Brooklyn House. Camp Half Blood is so different to everything I know. My body aches from the pointless training Carter and I are receiving, and I find myself in a fowler mood than usual.

I stare out the window in the Big House. Chiron is letting us sleep here while we stay at Camp Half Blood. I'm no longer afraid of anyone here killing us. Now I'm afraid of things outside of Camp Half Blood killing us. The leaders of the other Nome's made it perfectly clear they're not happy with our decision to help the demigods. What choice do we have? Egyptian Creatures came to them. And, partly, that's our problem. We made a promise to stop creatures harming people, and Carter and I aren't going to break that promise.

Lightning flashes across the sky, the dark illuminated.

Carter snores on the bed beside mine. I wish sleep found me as easy as it did for him. All I keep thinking about is the quest. Carter and I believed the worst was over when we defeated Apophis. Boy, were we wrong. The last few days have been chaotic, and weird. 

I close my eyes, blocking out the outside world.

I know where I am immediately. The gods Throne Room. Why I'm here, I have no idea. I'm behind a large pillar, and I'm hidden in the shadows. The gods have surrounded themselves around Horus, who sits on his throne.

"Don't say anything," a voice says from beside me.

I glance over. "Anubis," I whisper, inhaling sharply. Even after two years of not seeing him, he still makes my stomach burst into butterflies. Stupid god of death.

He puts a finger to his lips, and I understand: quiet.

I glance back to the gods, keeping silent.

"Serqet," Horus says, his voice strained. 

The goddess of scorpions walks slowly over to Horus, giving him a sly look. Her beady black eyes never leave his, which would unnerve me. She's impossible to stare back at- especially because of her huge scorpion hat. Her gold jewelery glitters in the light of the torches, and her pale face is orange in the light.

"You have sent swarms of scorpions into towns and villages across the globe. Even places where scorpions have never been. Your creatures have been the cause of many deaths." Horus studies her. "Do you deny this?"

Serqet laughs coldly, her voice echoing around the room. I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and goosebumps travel down my arms. "Why would I deny this? We both know it's my doing." 

Horus scowls. "Why?" he demands angrily.

"I follow the powerful," she states. "I have been offered power you will never know. There's a new age coming, Horus. You're time of pharoahs is nearly over. We will rule." 

Around me, the shadows seem to creep up on me. The throne room disappears, and Anubis and I are alone in a graveyard. How romantic. What's with this guy and creep graveyards? Can't he chose one that doesn't give me the chills?

"Serqet?" I exclaim, before he has a chance to say anything. "She's helping Rhea? Anubis, what's going on?" I'm still so confused about everything- and we have one week before we leave. I don't feel ready for all of this. 

"I can't say I'm entirely sure," he admits, looking frustrated. "The other gods have been... a little odd. Serqet has been using her scorpions to attack magicians and those graceaus. Sobek... well, I'm sure Carter has explained. The fact is: there's a war coming, Sadie."