Desiree

edited August 1 2014

I guess I should have seen it coming.

The next morning, I sit groggily up on my bed. The sun pierces through the glass of the Demeter Cabin. The smell of wild flowers wafts through the air, causing me to inhale deeply. The smell is beautiful. Flowers line the windowsills, and are decorated through the room as wall hangings. I love this place.

I get dressed and head outside for today's activities. Everything returns to normal after the Ureaus attack. Like it always did. That's how things run in Camp Half Blood.

I feel a pair of hands grab me and pull me away from my cabin. They guide me by the shoulders to the Lake. Before we even get out of the perimeter of the cabins, I squirm out of whoever is holding me grasp. My eyes narrow slightly when I see it's Leo Valdez.

"What's this about?" I ask him.

"We have a slight bit of an emergency!"

Seconds later, we're heading over to the Lake. The sun bores down on us, beading our foreheads in sweat. Gods, it's hot. Leo won't explain anything to me. He tells me to just follow him to the lake, which I do reluctantly. For all I know, this could be some prank by him, Connor and Travis. Leo gets along too well with those two.

With that in mind, I carefully follow him. My eyes are on the floor, so when Leo comes to a sudden stop, I crash right into him. It nearly topples us over, but Leo catches me (much to my embarrassment) and helps straighten me up. He looks a little pink, but points down to the Basketball Court which is close to the lake.

"What am I looking at-?" I begin. "Is that a monkey playing basketball with a lakers jersey on?"

"Weird, right?" Leo says, shaking his head. "But look at who he's playing with!"

I squint my eyes to see more clearly, and gasp when I see them. The girl from the other night, and her friends. My heart thuds in my chest. Her words echo in my head. This is far too soon to be seeing her again. What is she doing here? Are they here to rat Leo and me out? No. Obviously not. Are they demigods?

I ponder that thought for a second. It can't be, though. When Egyptian creatures came to us and attacked, Chiron had said he was going to see them. That means they're with the Egyptian side of things somehow. Are they Egyptian demigods? I know there's roman, so I guess their could be Egyptian ones too.

"Why are they here?" I ask Leo.

He folds his arms over his chest, and shifts uncomfortably on the spot. "I haven't a clue," he admits. "But that Sadie girl is kind of scary. Cute, but scary."

"She has a boyfriend," I say.

"How do you-?"

"I seriously doubt that she's holding that guys hand because they're such good friends. Oh. And look at that! They kissed," I comment, looking down at the couple.

"Hey! That never stopped anyone from trying, am I right?" Leo laughs.

"Leo!"

"I'm kidding! Jeez! Chill, Des!"

One of the guys from the group last night looks up to us. He frowns and then begins to make his way up to us. Gods. I knew that would happen. Unfortunately. Leo rolls his eyes. The guy finally reaches us, sweaty from his match with the monkey. That monkey has seriously more skill than I have at basketball.

"Flower girl, right?" he asks, stretching out his hand.

I glare at Leo who began to laugh at me. I scowl and turn to the guy. He gave me a sheepish smile. "It's Desiree," I told him. "Not Flower Girl." Leo was still laughing. "Shut up, Fire Boy!" He makes a face at me and I roll my eyes.