Prologue

"Y/N!" The young Strider called out. The girl turns around to see her blonde haired friend running toward her. At this time they were both 12, knowing each other since kindergarden.

"Hi Dave! Why the rush?" You giggled. He smiles holding up a box with a bow on it. You gasp and pull him into a hug. " You remembered!"

He straightens his shades and hands you the box gently, pulling back from the surprise sign of affection. "Why would I forget my best friend's birthday?" He said showing you that rare Strider smile of his.

You smile back and open the box. You gasp again as you take the item out. It was a golden necklace with a golden gear charm on it, with one small ruby in the center.

You put it back in the box close it and hug Dave tightly. "This is so sweet, Dave. This must of cost alot," you say pulling away," how'd you afford it?"

He shrugs and rubs the back of his neck, "Well Bro helped out a little. I had most of the money. I was saving up for new turntables."

You felt bad then. He's been saving that money since last year, yet he willingly spent it on you for your birthday. You blush and peck him on the cheek, making him blush also.

"You didn't have to do this for me, y'know. I would've settled for a smuppet." You say giggling. He blushed some more and pushed you gently. You giggle and motion for him to help put the necklace on. Once he did, you walk to school but another thing was on your mind.

You reach the school but stop him before you two go in. "You okay?" He questions

You take a deep breath then speak. "Dave, promise we will always be close?" You say.

You see him blink behind his shades before he gives you a smirk and holds up his pinkie. You smile and lace his with yours. "Always" he says before you walk into the school, his arm around your shoulder.