Going Under

Everything seemed to slow down before me. I knew how serious the situation was and that could be what made me stay where I was. I knew that there was no escape of the island now. This is where I would die as Ali had just died before my eyes. Standing I look to Milo who has a sad look on his face.

"We have no hope, there is no way to survive this. That cloud will come and suck the air out of our bodies and the lava, it will turn-" I try to explain but Milo pulls me close to him.

"I care not for details, we will keep trying to find a way to survive and not lose hope until we have exhausted all options." Milo says as her begins to lead me down what appears to be a hidden set of stairs.

He knew where he was going and once we were on the last step, he turned and shut a door on top of the stairs. Blocking our hiding spot from the intruders outside. Man or nature. Taking my hand again we went further into the darkness. I had no idea where I was but I knew that I need to trust Milo and follow him wherever he would lead me.

"This tunnel leads deep underground and out to the coast, maybe we have better odds there." He tells me as I can see a small hint of light ahead of us.

It was worth a try, after all if it didn't work we would still be doomed like the rest. Coming to the coast, I could see the ocean was boiling and decided to keep our distance from it. People were yelling and screaming for their lives, for the pain of the escape to stop. Looking to the mightiest boat. I see Cassia looking my way with Corvus smiling right behind her. Anger was building inside of me. Without a second thought of them there was a loud crack of lighting in the sky, it landed right on their boat and a fire began to spread wildly.

"Corvus has no escape now." Milo states as he looks to me.

"Neither does Cassia." I reply grimly.

All we can do is watch the sight before us. The men scrambling about the boat trying to put out the water but it grows fasters than they can extinguish it. Cassia looks my way and even from the distance I was at, I could see the fear in her eye. She may have played my sister well but now even she knew there was no one to save her, not even Milo or I could save her.

"GRACE!" Cassia yelled as the ship then fell in on itself taking Cassia into the depths of the ocean with it and Corvus.

Closing my eyes and turning away from the scene I couldn't help but feel sad for her. I could still hear the screams of the crew. All of them trying to swim and grab onto anything to try and stand up though it would do them no good. Looking back I can see a dark green scarf that Cassia use to wear all the time floating in the water. She was gone, the ocean had taken her. That or Corvus had pushed her under in order to save himself, I wouldn't put it past that coward.

"Grace...it sounds different now." Milo says as he looks towards the volcano.

He was right, something felt different. Walking forward I too looked up to the giant of a mountain. It was beginning to let out less and less smoke. I wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing. I could see where the lava had come down before was now starting to cool. How was the possible? The Pompeii I read about...there were no survivors. Yet here Milo and I stood looking up at the volcano. Did we somehow just survive the eruption of Pompeii?

A few hours later, the volcano had stopped or, so it seemed. Milo led me back to the town but this time we did not take the tunnel. Instead we climbed most of the way there. Once we saw what was left of Pompeii my hand went right to my mouth in shock. People that were caught in the ash were now laying upon the streets sin ash casts it looked like.

"What is this?" Milo said bending down about to touch one of the people in the new ash cast.

"Don't!" I yelp as I run over and stop him from touching. "It's ash from the volcano, at this stage it is still very sensitive. There is someone under this, but they are no longer among the land of the living."

"Everyone is dead? Octoclus, Ali everyone." Milo said standing up and looking around.

"You are supposed to be dead too." I sigh as I stand up and look at him. "Thousands of years after this Pompeii is found. You were dead when I found you."

"Dead? What do you speak of? The first time I met you was in the cells, not before." Milo says as he begins to walk, and I follow him.

"It's not easy to explain, Milo I am not from here. Not just this place, I am not from this time. I don't know how or why I was sent back here but I was." I try to explain only to literally run right into him.

"How do you explain doing that? Are you a witch or something?"

"Witch? No of course not, I am a student of archeology."

He just looks at me not only unimpressed but obviously having no clue what archelogy is.

"It is the study of ancient times, fossils, bones, mummies things like that."

"You still haven't told me how you got here."

"Because I have no idea! One moment I kissed your creepy statue and then next I woke up here and I was all the sudden Cassia's sister and I knew more than I ever should have."

"You kissed a statue?"

"Not the point, if you wish to be upset with me then fine but that wont change anything. You are supposed to be dead and I...I have no idea what I am supposed to do!" I shout as I turn and walk away from him.

How could I expect him to understand? There is no logical way to even explain how I am here to myself let alone him! Looking around me all I saw was death. Without knowing it, my body made it's way back to Ali. He was just where I left him only now covered in ash. Dropping to my knees I began to cry. What had I done? How in the hell did Milo and I manage to survive this? Did I change this?

"What can we do now?" Milo asks softly as he comes to my side.

"I have no idea."

That's when we heard another explosion. The volcano knew it was missing someone, us. It was only a matter of moments before we saw the lava come spewing from the top of the volcano. Taking Milo's hand I run with him as fast as I can until we get to where I originally found him.

"It feels like we are being hunted." He says as he stands up on a large piece of marble.

"We are, this is one hunt we wont escape from." I tell him as I pull myself up onto the marble beside him.

"We die together then, a woman from the future and a man from the past?"

"How did you know I was from the future?"

Milo chuckles as he gently cups my face with his hands.

"Call it a lucky guess."

With that, he leans in and kisses me. Pulling me close to him I can feel the heat around us getting closer and closer until it eventually envelopes us. Though I feel no pain, it is as though all I can feel is Milo's kiss. Wrapping his arms tightly around me I begin to cry knowing this is now my death as well as his.