Chapter 1

Tears lingered in the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall at any second as I answered the phone.

"Hello?" I spoke cautiously.

"Hello, Melody? I'm sorry to say that the test results have come back positive."

My mouth dropped open as the phone slid out of my grasp, landing on the ground.

Let me tell you about myself. My name is Melody Martin. I'm 19 years old, I've lived in Vancouver all my life, and I am a student at Magee Secondary high school. I'm 5'3 with big green eyes and long strawberry blonde hair. I also have the biggest crush on my neighbor. Some of his friends are jerks, but at one point I think he had feelings for me aswell.

Now I feel like this is all confusing to you, so let's start from the beginning shall we?

**The day before grade 12**

Tonight. I promised myself. Tonight I will find someone. Sure I may not be the most popular girl in school, and I am pretty smart, there has to be someone out there for me.

I tugged on my new black miniskirt along with some black pumps and a red 

strapless shirt.

I carefully curled my hair and adjusted my makeup in my vanity mirror. Then I grabbed my cellphone and purse, and headed out the front door.

As I was opening the door to my car, I heard a voice behind me.

"Melody?" he said.

I turned around to face him. He looked sexy as usual. His black and blue hair straightened with his bangs covering a little of his right eye. He was wearing a band tee with black skinnies and red converse.

"Is that you?" he asked walking closer to where I stood.

"Well it sure isn't my mother." I giggled.

My heels gave me an extra 3 and a half inches so I didn't look as short.

"Wow...you look...nice." he said.

I smiled at him,"So do you."

Suddenly, I felt myself get lost in his big blue eyes and before I knew it, his hands were around my waist and he was kissing me.

I felt fireworks go off as I kissed him back.

After a few seconds, he pulled back.

The truth was, Josh and I had been best friends when we were younger, but as we grew older we just started to drift apart.

"Oh my god Melody..I'm sorry...it's just...uhhh...I have to go." he mumbled heading to his car.

"Hey...Josh?" I called.

He peered my way, waiting for me to continue.

"See you at the party!" I yelled with a wink.

I left him speechless as I drove away.

I popped in "Cooler Than Me" by Josh's band, Ramsay fiction. I sang along to the first track, Playing Dead. Then I rolled into Danny's house. Danny was one of the jocks at school. He had invited all of the grade 12's to a party at his house.

I quickly looked in my pocket mirror. Josh had smudged off my lip gloss. I quickly pulled out some lipstick instead and began to carefully apply it onto my lips. If I planned on meeting someone tonight, there's no way lip gloss would last.

I smiled as I snapped my pocket mirror shut.

"Okay Melody..you can do this." I whispered to myself.