Chapter Twenty-Five

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, caused me to flinch a little. There infront of me stood a girl that I barely recognized anymore. On her face she plastered a small, faint smile, hoping that she'd somehow be able to convince the world that she was alright.

'Alright?' I echoed in my mind like it was one of the most ridiculous things I've said ever since. How was I supposed to be 'alright', how was that girl staring back at me in the mirror ever be alright when today would be the day she's supposed to say goodbye to the one person she treasured the most in her life?

Sighing in utter despair, I swallowed the lump that was rising in my throat. I could feel the tears gathering in the corners of my heavily eye-lined, black mascaraed eyes and pooled there like so much dark water lost among my black-hazel gaze. Biting my lower lip I inhaled a gulp of fresh, lavender scented air as I gently run my hands smoothly over the black dress I was wearing. It was a simple short-sleeved dress that reached above my knees with a small, silver belt in the waist and an open squared shape around my neck. On my feet I wore a pair of six inch heels that upon rested a small bow to the front for extra elegance. Picking up my red, burgundy lipstick I applied one more finished coat, gently tucking the stray hair strands away from my fishtail braid.

Somehow, this all seemed so unrealistic to me. I secretly kept hoping that this was all just a very, very bad nightmare and that I'd wake up soon and feel the warm embrace of my mom upon my skin again. I was still in denial, that little part of me but then the other part of me kept reminding me that this wasn't just a dream/nightmare, it was the cold, dark thing called reality.

She wasn't just away on a vacation to Paris or on a business trip this time. This time she was really gone and she was not coming back. No amount of letters, postcards or prayers could bring her back to me. I didn't even really get the chance to tell/show her how much I loved her more than anything else in the world.

I guess it's true when they say it's not about knowing what you're lost, thing is you just never thought you'd lose it. And truth is, I never did think I would lose my mom.

My eyes stumbled upon the small, pink envelope tucked at the corner of my dresser. I slowly reached out my trembling hand and grasped it.

Written in bold italic was the name, "Ashley".

A smile formed in the corners of my lips as my fingers traced the words, "From : Mom".

Walking over to my window sill I nervously opened the little envelop. I would recognize the print anywhere and everywhere. I flashed back to when mom send me this; it was my fourteenth birthday and she was on a business trip in California only to be held one week extra due to some circumstances that I was never really interested in. The gentle wing brushed upon my skin causing goosebumps to crawl up my neck a little. It was amount as if the stench of sadness and sorrow wafted through the entire atmosphere plaguing everywhere with this monstrosity.

My lips began trembling as I began reading silently to myself.

And so it read;

"Dear my love, Ashley,

I'm so deeply sorry I can't be here for your big day. Sadly my business trip has been extended for another week due to circumstances beyond my control.

You know if I has a say in any of this, I'd do anything to be here with you right now. I want you to know that you are my everything, Ashley baby. You are the reason I laugh, smile, worry, cry, shout, get angry, enjoy those little moments of life. You bring out the best and worst in me and I couldn't not be more thankful for the day I held you in my arms for the first time.