Chapter 21

Ashanaya

"Hey I wanted to ask you something." York walked up to me as I sat by campfire. Everyone else was in their seperate tents, we had Kel run back into the city to grab a few more, we told her not to steal but there's not much of a way to be sure. The sun was down and the only light we had was the small fire I built in a hurry.

"What is it?" I asked.

He sat down beside me. "Are you and Cullen, a thing?"

I didn't answer for a second. I wasn't really sure. He cared about me, I cared about him, and we shared a few kisses here and there, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. He might only care because of the spring, I wanted to know that he himself cared about me, not just because of some magic from elves long dead.

"I'm not sure. I like him, but I haven't put any title to it and I haven't let it get too serious. I don't like the idea of him possibly only liking me for the spring he drank from. I want him to actually care, not only be with me because of the influence of ancient magic." I sighed. "It just doesn't sit with me well."

"Oh. I never thought about it like that." He looked forward toward the fire. The blue in his eyes drained away and turned to a dark purple, he looked upset. "What do you think of me and Valen?"

I looked over at him. He changed so much, his hair, his eyes, his features in general, it was very striking. "I understand if you don't think the same way, but it just makes the most sense to me. I wouldn't want someone to be with me against their own will."

"So, I should break up with him? Until he seems to care about me for me?" He looked down at the ground.

"If that's what you want, but if you do, please go easy on him, he's my best friend." I put my hand on his shoulder.

He sighed. "I told you we should go to Ganahass mountain?"

"Yeah?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I had a bad thought, it was kinda part of the reason I wanted to talk to you. I know.... some things, about the emperor of the nymphs. I thought, maybe to gain us some leverage, I could... seduce him." He wouldn't look at me. "I came so you'd talk me out of it, but after what you said, it feels like it's not that bad of an idea."

"Well, don't just use him, make sure there's good reason. Don't be with Valen if you do, and don't hurt Valen." I wasn't sure what to say. "How old is the emperor anyway?"

"About 150. You'd never know that though, nymphs don't physically age after they've changed, although for about 50 years after they change they gradually change but only subtly until we're completely a certain kind of nymph. After that we never wrinkle, our hair never changes, our bones don't get weaker, one day we just, die. It all happens at once, kind of like when I changed earlier." He seemed to be lost in thought.

"Oh, so I guess it's not as bad to date old guys if you're a nymph." I laughed.

"Well 150 isn't considered old, compared to humans it'd be the equivalent of about 23, of course if you do it like that I'm 16 so I'd be the equivalent to 2 years old so let's not, do it like that. We're not really able to date old people, nymphs disappear after they turn about 200, never seen again. They live in solitude until they die, no ones sure why, it's just tradition I guess. We had one emperor who didn't, he reigned longer than any other emperor we ever had. Then one day, in front of the entire court, he died. I wasn't born yet so I didn't have to see it, but I heard it was pretty bad." He was talking like he had a headache.

"Well, I'd say do whatever you think is right with your situation."

"How old are you?" He asked. "And Valen, how old is he?"

"I'm 17, Valen's 18. I think Marhara is about 32. Cullen is 18." I felt like I might as well say their ages too since I'm pretty sure no one's told him.

"I'm younger than all of you."

"Kel-"

"Most of you." He rolled his eyes. "How long do humans live again?"

"About 80 or 90 I think." I stared into the fire.

"At least if you end up with Cullen you'll have him for most of your life, Valen would die long before I would, 500 years before me in fact." He sighed. "Well, thanks for the talk, I know what I'm going to do."

"No problem. And York?" I looked up at him as he stood. He looked at me. "I'm glad you came with us. Kel, not as much, but you're fine."

He smiled. "Thanks. I'm not sure if I feel the same way, but you've been a good friend."

He walked off toward his tent. I watched him as he walked away, nervous for him because of what he was probably going to do.