CHAPTER 10: A Kink In The Plan

On the bridge, tension is high. The only light in the room is the emergency-power lights and the few computer consoles that are running. The last thing that a crew with no communications to the rest of the ship needs is to hear a massive explosion somewhere in the Valious. General Kenobi whips his head around.

"Captain, what was that?" He shouts.

"I'm not sure, General," Briggs replies.

Lieutenant Vol's computer screen lights up as a box outlined in red pops up. In dark red letters on a black background, it reads:

Hull has been punctured.
Atmosphere is leaking.

"General! The airlock has been breached!" Vol interjects, "Whatever that blast was, it knock a hole in the ship somewhere!"

"Liutenant, find a way to isolate that breach, keep the atmosphere inside the Valious! Captain Briggs, establish comminications with Ghost Company, immediately!"

"Aye, sir!"

"Yes, sir!"

Captain Briggs fumbles over the computer screen, frantically attempting to establish communications with the leader of Ghost Company. Vol searches his computer data for the location of the airlock breach.

"Ghost One? Come in Ghost One? Are you there?"

He shouts on at his comm, seemingly forever. Obi-Wan's face creases into a grimace under his brown hood. His mind wanders from thought to thought: What will become of this detachment? When will they respond? What if our only chance is gone

"Sir, the leakage has been stopped, the airlock is sealed again," Vol announces.

"Great work, Lieutenant," Master Kenobi replies, "Now, how is that-"

"It wasn't me, General," Vol hastily interrupts, "I haven't overridden the doors yet, sir..."

Everyone turns towards Vol in confusion.

"If you didn't close the airlock, then who did?"

Fortunately, the answer reveals itself.

"General, a transmission from the engine room!" Says Briggs, "I think it's the Ghosts!"

Apoc appears in hologram form, appearing to be hunched over.

"Mission Commander, what happened down there?" Demands General Kenobi.

"Daleks...huff...in the engine room...huff huff..." Apoc is breathless from pulling himself against the force of the vacuum, his words wheeze out like smoke from a rusted engine.

"Fight broke out..exchanged fire...huff...explosives...damaged hy-ACCCK...hype...huff huff huff..."

"Explosion?" Asks Yularen, "Explosion damaged what?"

"Huff...huff...explosive weapons...damaged the...the hyperdrive..."

Obi-Wan, Yularen, Cody, Briggs, Vol, Grey, Boil, and Waxer all flinch and gasp at the news.

"The Hyperdrive Generator exploded and the Coaxium didn't ignite?" Asks Yularen.

"If the Coaxium hyperfuel had ignited, the entire ship would be just space-dust right now," Grey explains, "There wouldn't even be a ship anymore if that had happened..."

"It's a miracle that only the engine room was destroyed..." Obi-Wab trails off.

"The Doctor...huff...is working on the power generators now...huff..." Apoc coughs out, "Soon...the ship should return to full-power..."