CHAPTER 15: Droids

Ghost Company rushes around the corner, not even trails of dust are left behind them. The empty halls creak, echoing from distant parts of the ship where enemies penetrate the Republic's defenses. The ship could be flooded with droids at any moment, and the Ghosts would be defenseless. Apoc keeps his trigger-finger ready on his thermal detonator, ready to throw at a moment's notice.

"How much further till we're there?" Wyssick puffs out.

"About 300 meters--HUFF--almost there!" The ARC Trooper wheezes, "Prepare for opposition any moment!"

The voice of a battle droid echoes in the distance, giving orders to search the halls. Apoc throws up his flattened hand, signaling the troops to halt.

"Quietly," he whispers, "On my mark..."

He waves them onward, tiptoing down the corridor towards the next blast-door junction. The group trudges towards the door frame, step-by-step.

"Now, hold position," Apoc orders, giving hand signals, "Ghost Two, check it out."

Wyssick then takes his blaster and side-steps toward the junction. He peeks around the corner to see the enemy; a quartet of B1 Battle Droids and an energy-shielded Droideka. He quickly turns back to the group.

"Sir, 4 regular clankers and a rollie."

"Perfect, that's enough blasters for all of us," Crys whispers.

"Yeah, but how're we gonna take out that destroyer droid with it's shield," Beck inerjects, "The hand-cannons on that thing will tear us to pieces!"

The Ghosts all try to decipher the situation. A thermal detonator would only work if I throw it at just the right speed to break the energy-shield, Apoc brainstorms. What else is powerful enough to stop a Droideka...Aha.

"Ghost Seven, on the blast-door controls," the Commander orders.

Zeke scurries over to the control panel, and starts tinkering with the controls. He comes to the assessment that it is still operational.

"All clear, Ghost One."

"Be ready to shut it on my command, Ghost Seven," Apoc continues, "Now, Ghost Two, go back out there. Get their attention."

Wyssick hesitates momentarily, wondering why in the blazes he'd willingly walk into the line of fire, until it hits him: Ahh...bait. He rushes over to the junction again, making as much noise as he can as he stomps. His footsteps ring down the corridor, catching the auditory receptors of the droids. He turns the corner and slides.

"Clankers!" he let's out a faux surprise, before firing off a few blaster bolts in their direction.

The droids take notice, and the yellow-striped commander orders with a high-pitched, modulated voice:

"After him!"

Wyssick quickly rushes back around the corning, after ensuring the Droideka balls up and rolls after him. He meets the others, backs flat to the wall, and the Droideka swiftly turns the corner after him.

"Hit it!"

Zeke activates the blast-door mere milliseconds before the Droideka passes through, slicing the machine down the middle, leaving it's head and legs behind the shut blast-door. Zeke sighs with relief.

"Good shot, Zee!" Crys shouts.

"Grab it, let's see if we can use it!" Apoc shouts.

Apoc and Zeke quickly swipe the Droideka's dismembered torso from the floor, tosssing around wires where the head used to be.