The Beginning Of A Series Of Bad Decisions

Shortly after arriving at our dorm, Winter and I settled into our beds. Winter fell asleep minutes after laying down, but I wasn't so lucky. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see the car breaking through the guide rails, my sister's terrified face. I could hear them screaming as we crashed into the tree. I knew it was my fault despite what my friends said. It was my fault this was our lives now.

     I decided to go to the training room and try and take my mind off things. I quietly got out of bed and snuck out of the room. I made my way into the empty training room, I sat down on the bench and picked up the roll of cloth next to me. I began wrapping my knuckles in the cloth. I then stood up and walked over to the punching bag. I began punching the bad as hard as I could, hoping to relieve the stress and guilt. When it didn't wok, I began punching the bag harder, even throwing in some kicks. I had been going at this punching bag for ten minutes when he showed up.

     "Man, do you have some sort of grudge against that punching bag?", Liam joked.

     I turned to him, startled and embarrassed. "How long have you been there?"

     "Not long. You're pretty good."

     "How did you know I was in here?"

     "I heard you practicing, my room's right down the hall." He pointed down the hallway. "I didn't know you knew how to fight."

     "Yeah, neither did I. Apparently there's a lot I don't know about myself." I looked over at him. He looked back at me with a look of pity and sympathy. No, that's the last thing I needed. I didn't need anyone feeling sorry for me, I did this to myself and my friends. "While your here, do you wanna spar?"

     "I don't even how to throw a decent punch. I think I'll just keep you company." He sat down on the bench.

     "Pathetic, a grown man who can't fight." I continued punching the bag.

     "What can I say? I'm a lover, not a fighter."

     "More like I coward!" I landed another kick on the bag. I was trying harder than before, subconsciously trying to impress him.

      "You're not exactly wrong." There was a very long silence. I continued punching the bag. I'm starting to think the silence was worse than my conversation skills. "What are you trying to forget?"

     I stopped dead in my tracks. I turned to look at him. "I don't want to talk about it." I continued.

     "You can talk to me, Skyler." I stopped once again, looking at the ground. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me."

     I began unwrapping my knuckles and walking towards the door. I made a point of not looking at him. I was not about to tell some man I hardly knew about my internal problems, no matter how cute he was.

     Liam stood up and blocked the doorway. "Please. Just talk to me."

     "I should be going back to bed."

     "I won't judge you. Just let me help you."

     I sighed, then made my way back to the bench. He sat next to me. I stared at the ground. "It's my fault. It's my fault me and my friends ended up on the side of the road. I was supposed to be the responsible one for once. I let them down. I let them all down."

     "What happened?"

      It took me a long time to gather the courage to tell him this. "We were all at this party, and I was supposed to drive us home. I got drunk, but insisted on driving home. I got us lost, then swerved to avoid a deer. I'm the reason the car crashed." I looked at him to see him looking at me, not angry, not judgemental, but understanding.

      "It wasn't your fault. You didn't control what happened. You just made a mistake. Happens to the best of us. One bad decision doesn't define who you are as a person. You shouldn't have to feel guilty about it."

     I took a moment to let his words sink in. I know that he was right, but that didn't change how I felt. I got up from the bench. "You're right."

     He grinned. "Often am. Let me walk you back to the dorm."

      "I don't need help finding my dorm." I knew what this smug prick was trying to pull, and it was absolutely working.

     "I never said I was doing it because you needed me to, I'm doing it for my own pleasure."

     "Then knock yourself out." I left the room, Liam walking by my side. He followed me all the way back to my dorm. "Good night." I whispered, trying not to wake up anyone else. I stared at him for a moment, then made a questionable decision. In the spur of the moment, I leaned in and kissed him. I quickly pulled back away from him. My face turned bright red. He seemed confused, but he hadn't protested. "I'm so sorry, that was a mistake." I quickly muttered, then turned to my dorm and quickly shut the door behind me, leaving him standing there.

     I climbed back into my bed. I hid my face under pillow. I just made a stupid mistake. I need to focus on my sister and friends right now. They need me now more than ever. I couldn't be letting my emotions get in the way. I didn't need some man in my life to screw things up. I just got so caught up in the moment, I wasn't thinking clearly. I needed to get over myself. I didn't have time for this, or room for this in my life. But I didn't completely hate myself for making that decision. Still, it was a mistake nonetheless. Or was it? No, it definitely was.