Rogue Territory

"Rory, remember tonight is the night we'll hunt. I want you fully prepared and charged for a fight." my father told me sternly, "Rogues don't go down easily."

I shifted uncomfortably on my feet. The thought of hunting rogues made me sick to my stomach. It happened once a year where all the neighboring packs would come together and celebrate the unity and privilege of being in a pack by going out of territory lines and hunting the unlucky; the rogues, lone wolves who have become destined to being our prey on this very night.

This year I was finally 18 and though most normal people would be ecstatic about being considered an adult, I was dreading it. This year was the year I would shift into my wolf willingly and kill an innocent person. I could feel the bile rising.

You could say our packs were old fashion. We lived off the land in human form and when you were of age to finally shift into your wolf whenever you wanted, you were to hunt; let your animal instincts take over. Eighteen years of age was the predetermined time in which one was able to shift on their own. Your first shift is always on your 16th birthday but you could only change when commanded to and on full moons. Of course, we have the wolves who just explode from keeping their wolves locked for so long, and this may seem cruel to anyone outside of the pack, such as rogues, but people here call it 'exercising control'.

"Rory!" my father said intimidatingly of course, snapping his fingers in my face.

I blinked a couple times before focusing my gaze on my father. We looked a lot alike; same black hair and some similar facial features, the only thing different was our eye color. My father had cold dark brown set eyes, while I had my mother's emerald green eyes.

My father growled furious at me before I realized what I was doing. I quickly bowed my head in submission, trying to save myself from a serious scolding.

"Forgive me, Alpha", I spoke in a low voice. Just because he was my father didn't mean that I was to act any differntly around him. He was still my Alpha and it was considered disrespectful to look into his eyes or call him anything other than Alpha. Of course I've called him 'father' before, but that all changed when I had my first shift and was considered a 'wolf'.

"Don't let it happen again," he said coldly and harsh "or there will be consequences."

"Of course, Alpha." I said in the same tone. I didn't resent my father for having this type of relationship with me. It was expected because he had always warned me of what would come when I did shift. I just didn't expect for him to be so cold.

He didn't reply, but instead grumpily stomped towards the field where wolves were preparing themselves for the hunt.

I sighed before turning towards the pack house where I had planned on hiding until I was forced to come out and do the one thing I was dreading. Sadly, that was not going to happen when I saw Martin making his way towards me with a goofy smile plastered to his face. He was 20 years old and my bestfriend, well more like my only friend. His father was my father's beta before he died and Martin replaced him at the early age of 18. He was tall with dark brunette hair and ice cool blue eyes. He had sharp features and it wasn't hard to admit he was attractive, but not for me.

"Martin." I said with a small smile.

"Look at my favorite girl, Rory!" he exclaimed while throwing his arm around my shoulder, "Aren't you excited for tonight? You finally get to participate in the hunt," he said tauntingly; "If you're scared, don't worry big daddy here will prote--"

"I'm not scared" I said while sending an elbow to his ribs and feeling pleased when I saw him clutch his side in pain "I'm just not feeling well today." I lied. I couldn't tell Martin the truth, bestfriend or not it was treason to go or say anything against the hunt.

I quickly slipped out from under his arm while turning around to face him. "I'm just going to sleep for awhile. Wake me when we are to leave for the hunt."

He faked saluted me and walked away with a quick 'hope you get better'.

I stood there watching him walk away, before turning and making my way to my room in the pack house. Throwing myself on the bed, I tangled myself in my sheets, but sleep was no where in sight.

This is it, I thought to myself.

Sometimes I wish I were free...