Chapter Nine

I woke up the next morning to an eager Annabel who, the day before, promised not to leave my side even when I had assured her I'd be okay with Daniel, my so called guard.

"Annabel, I'm sure the sun hasn't even risen yet! Why are we up so early?" I protested with sleep still thick in my voice.

"Because," she said breathless "as I've told you a million times before, I need at least an hour to have you prepared for training. You need to be fully awake and alert." She answered while throwing clothes everywhere, looking for some that would fit me.

We were currently in her room and I wanted to tell her I was fully awake from the shock I received this morning, from a gloomy Daniel standing outside my door.

But I thought better of it, she looked stressed enough as it was. I was more relaxed, this was my element; I could fight. I was trained to fight.

A squeal of victory released me from my thoughts. Looking at Annabel who was now holding short black shorts and a plain jain grey sweater. The combination didn't go at all but who was I to be picky? The shorts could've been a little longer though.

I really needed to go shopping.

With what money?

Right, all my inheritance is gone I'm sure, and I couldn't even check because my wallet was back at the pack house.

"Alright, put these on, and grab a band so you can pull that hair of yours back." She said urgently.

I frowned "Anna, I'll be fine. This is normal to --"

"This is not your ordinary training session! These people are not your friends and they will try to kill you! We are rogues. Anger for pack members because of what they did and still do, are all we know! Nobody is going to care what you did for Mikah and I!" She shouted.

I was stunned, she never yelled or got too stressed about things.

"Anna, I --" I started.

"I'm just worried" she said softly looking at the ground.

I gave a small smile to her and wrapped an arm around her for a hug.

"Thank you." I said, I wasn't going to try and convince her I'd be fine anymore. If she was this worried about me, I'd just let her do what she wants.

"I'll be quick." I said grabbing the clothes she picked out and stripped myself before throwing them on. I grabbed a band off her dresser, pulling my hair back for the normal ponytail.

"Let's go." I said

"We shall." She said sighing as we made our way to the door.

***

Walking down the curvy never ending cave hallways was a challenge. I got lost the minute we turned away from Annabel's room, but luckily it seemed Annabel knew where to go.

She didn't speak, though she kept clenching and un-clenching her small hands. I knew Daniel wasn't far behind us, keeping his distance. Like Jenna said, not for my protection but for theirs.

It felt like an eternity before we finally came to an opening. Early sunlight was pouring into the dark cave, practically blinding me.

How long has it been since I've seen daylight?

I had no answer.

I blinked several times, squinting my eyes trying to see past the blinding light.

Finally we were out and my vision was fuzzy for a second before it adjusted.

Looking around at my surroundings, I saw we were in an open field, trees standing tall around us like a gate. I looked back at the cave to notice you wouldn't think what's in their is actually there. A whole facility! It looked like a cave that barely went back ten feet. Not suspicious at all, really.

Annabel grabbed my upper arm and started dragging me towards what I guessed was the training grounds. I expected a huge field with tools and ropes to help you train, but what I saw instead was a small area void of grass and bodies spread out. They were stretching but that all came to an end when they noticed me. I could feel their stares making it known I was unwelcome , but despite the nervous sweat forming on my neck , I held my head high, meeting everyone's eyes.

One man even smirked. An arrogant smirk which just pissed me off.

Annabel grabbed my arm tighter as a few rogues came closer to me, probably sizing me up. She growled a ferocious warning to them which surprised even me.

The rogues paused for a moment before glaring at Annabel and continuing forward. I spread my legs slightly, preparing myself for defense.

Then his scent hit me along with most dangerous snarl I've ever heard come from behind me.

The rogues paused again, but this time, they had a little fear in their eyes.

I couldn't worry about that though. The only thing running through my mind was:

"Should I feel happy or angry that he's going to be participating in this with me?"