Chapter One

Hoisting her traveling bag higher on her shoulder, Mia continued down the narrow hallway in search of her dorm room, frantically looking around the empty hallway. She glanced down at the small piece of paper within her free hand, where three numbers were sloppily scribbled on it, indicating which room she would be staying in for the next two weeks.

After accepting the Great Britain Diving Team offer from coach Andy Banks, Mia had to have an immediate flight out to Australia first thing the next morning. The whole GB team has already been here in Australia for three days for the intense two-week training camp leading up to the Commonwealth Games.

The Commonwealth Games were extremely important because the divers have to be placed within the top twenty to be sent off to the Olympic trials. This being said, Mia will have to work tremendously hard for the next two-weeks if she is wishing to be placed into the 2012 Olympics. 

She continued down the hallway, her mind realizing that this would soon become her new ‘home’ for the next few weeks. Now that she had joined the GB team, she would be traveling and training everyday in hopes of participating in the London Olympics, not having a real home ground for her.

Not that you ever did have a home, she thought bitterly to herself. She immediately shook her head from the thoughts of her emotional farewell from her sister, gravely shuttering at the heartrending remembrance.

Lucky for her, she arrived at the dorm she was assigned to, instantly making her forget of the tragic memories. Sliding her key into the handle, the wooden door swung open to reveal a typical dorm room.

The walls were a warm beige color, making the tiny room seem larger then it actually was. Two small beds were placed in the corners of the space neatly covered with fresh sheets. A window stood in between the two beds showing the lovely Australian view, placed right before the quite spacious private bathroom.

Mia felt a gracious smile form on her face as she approached her bed and the lovely welcoming gifts that surrounded it. On the walls were large streamers, colorful banners, flags, and numerous decorations welcoming her to the Great Britain Diving Team.

She reached a timid hand out to touch the heartwarming decorations, feeling a soothing and hospitable emotion run through her body. Unlike this morning in England, Mia felt like she had a real purpose in her young life with a team behind her that supported her.

“Oh you are early!”

Mia’s hand dropped from the welcoming banner, her head snapping around to glance at the woman’s voice that was behind her. A charming young woman stood before her, dressed in a simple diving swimsuit and a warm smile.

“Oh, how rude of me!” She crossed the room with her long legs, a hand reached out in front of her. “I’m Tonia Couch, I am on the GB Diving Team. And I’m also your dorm mate!”

Mia smiled sincerely to the gorgeous blonde, shaking her delicate hand within her own. “Very nice to meet you, Tonia.”

“Same to you,” Tonia replied sweetly, eying the brunette with a sense of self-consciousness filling her own body. “I have heard so many wonderful things about you, Amelia. Coach Andy is very confident in you already.”

 “Please call me Mia,” the brunette stated kindly, taking a seat on her bed in an exhausted matter. “And let’s hope that I can live up to those expectations.”

Tonia laughed. “I’m sure you will have nothing to worry about. Anyway, how was your flight? Must have been a long one.”

“You have no idea,” Mia confirmed unenthusiastically. “I have never had such awful jetlag before. To be honest, I’m not sure if I will be able to last today’s practice. All I want to do is sleep all day and eat cookie dough ice cream.”