Hopewell Mississippi May 22nd 1862

My beloved husband I write to tell you of our eldest son. For I have not received word of him for weeks. I fear he was in Shiloh when the terrible battle was being fought. Are you still in Alabama? That is the place where you told me to send these letters.. I hoped you have moved more toward Saltillo. Mary's husband is there at the moment. I hope you remember him my love. He was the Scottish man, who married Mary Pierce. Well Mary Jamieson now. Their daughter Parmelia is ill at this moment, and we all fear for the worst. We all pray to the lord that she recovers from her illness. Oh how we all hope for that darling.

I thank you for your hasty reply on my request of the farm. I am grateful that you told me how I was supposed to sell not Wilbur, but Bora. The children were grateful for that Richard. I also appreciate the instruction on how and when the crops shall be harvested. The flowers are blooming at the moment. Sandra and I are planning on selling them. The plantation owners love to use them for their extravagant parties. I hope you get home before our own daughters debutante. My mother is the cause of that, and I am so very grateful Although it will be seven years yet.

Your letters sooth my heart, and I hope for a speedy reply.

Love,your Molly Ashley