02 - Unwanted place

"Can we wrap it up and go somewhere else?" he asked, hoping that, for once, his wishes would be heard. "I thought we will go to some nice cafe..." When his friends mentioned they will go for a few drinks and then sing, he imagined karaoke bar at most. Definitively not this.

"What?! I can not hear you!" his friend shouted at him across the table, pointing to his ear and shaking his head to show he can not hear anything else than the loud music coming from the stage.

"Nothing." Shen Wei did not even try repeating himself as he knew his attempt would be in vain. It was impossible to have a normal conversation at a place like this. Looking down to the stage and dance floor he wondered what is the reason for so many people to come and go crazy. People danced with just anyone who was near them. Waitresses were making their way through the masses of dancers who were slowly losing control of their bodies under the weight of alcohol and, Shen Wei could bet on that, drugs as well. Arms and hands were touching where they should not. Certainly not in a public place. Men were making improper proposals and women happily agreed not even knowing what was offered to them.

"What am I doing here?" he asked himself when realizing the other chair was vacant again. His friends were sitting at the bar or dancing down there. They came together, toasted and then left him alone, enjoying the night as they pleased. 

Shen was sitting at the table alone most of the time. Someone even tried to make him leave the place as occupying  a table for four by only one person was "not fair to others". Shen was aware of that. He knew well he was not belonging to such a place and everyone must know by first glance. He nervously brushed his suit jacket. Even his clothes were improper. Why did he hope his friends would take him to some nicer place? 

"I will wait till midnight and then just go... Tomorrow is not my birthday anymore."

Out of boredom, he gazed over the people and started making their possible life stories. "That man... he is surely in this club to forget... hmmm... all about his hard work as... an IT engineer... That woman... looks like she is trying to hit on a guy who would shield her for the rest of her life...Those three youngsters... are overjoyed to sneak out of their parent's house..." 

Abreaction, fun, desire for the touch of another person, the sweet smell of freedom... there were many reasons for people to spend a night in a club. True, Shen Wei did not like this place. He has never been in a club. But today was his birthday, so he gave up under the pressure of his friends who wanted to have some real fun and accompanied them to this dark underground place which reminded him of hell itself.

But then his eyes locked for a millisecond with a young man sitting on a tall bar stool. Shen Wei felt an unbearable sadness from him. Slouched over a glass, his head falling down as he was surely drunk. Even from such a distance, Shen could tell the man has a real sad story hidden in his heart. 

"Are you going to sit here the whole time?" Chu, his best friend since colleague, appeared when the music softened a bit. "Have some fun! Find someone with whom you are going to wake up tomorrow morning with a huge headache."

"I am not like that. I am not like you," Shen Wei smiled with a slight blush on his cheeks.

"And that is worrying me," Chu sat next to him, throwing his arm around his shoulders. "Are you even able to have fun?  Aren't you a cyborg?" He laughed at his own joke and gulped down the rest of the whiskey. "Believe me, you need some fun. It's going to be a year now... You haven't sleep with someone for a whole year. That's bad for your health, man."

"You... You keep count of that?"

"Don't be mad at me. What I am saying is that you should have some fun since it is your birthday." Chu leaned closer and whispered to his ear: "Should I get you someone?"

Shen Wei pushed him away. "Do not you dare!"

"As you wish," Chu shoved his hands in the air as to capitulate. "But a whole year of celibate is not healthy at all." A girl came to them and sat on Chu's lap. He smiled when she kissed his temple seductively. Winking to Shen Wei, Chu left him in his own despair once again.

"It is ten months and three days... Not a whole year," Shen Wei said to Chu's back when the couple was leaving for the dance floor.

Maybe there was, indeed, something wrong with him. There surely was someone in the club that would raise his ego. But Shen Wei knew no one can ever replace his long lost love and heal the wound that was left for him to deal with. Looking at the bar he noticed the young man was no longer sitting there. Even he decided to leave. Shen Wei sighed heavily and ordered another glass of juice. With head rested on his hands he kept observing the people around him with a hint of jealousy.  

+++End of chapter 2+++

So... we have Shen Wei on the scene now as well :)

I am putting this up sooner as I see a lot of interest plus I will not be around wifi for a while, so I need to give you some cookies to survive in my absence, right?