07 - Trying to make destiny

Shen was taking care of Yunlan for the rest of the day. When the man fell into a deep sleep, Shen was relieved. He could nurse his wounds in the meantime. He believed Yunlan would not let him do so if he was wide awake. And the long sleep also let Shen to have a proper look on his guest.

"He does not look like a bad person when he is sleeping. He is... a bit as a lost puppy that bites in fear... but not as a wolf trying to harm everyone."

Shen reached out to put a strand of hair off that handsome face and with panicky feelings realized he is attracted to the man. He did not know a thing about him, yet there was something... there was something

"You are a mystery," he whispered and went to the kitchen to prepare a pot of soup. His small flat welcomed the warm aroma of the soup, yet the man on the couch was still sleeping soundly. Shen wrote a small note and put it on the table in front of the sofa. In case Yunlan wakes up in the middle of the night, hungry, he will know there is food prepared for him in the kitchen.

"Good night..." Shen left to his bedroom silently. For a moment he thought he is acting like a fool, inviting a total stranger. "You are way too credulous, Wei..."

When Shen woke up the next morning, he found the blanket tossed on the floor

When Shen woke up the next morning, he found the blanket tossed on the floor. The place was empty. Shen scolded himself for leaving the keys in the keyhole of the main door. Yunlan just walked away in the middle of the night.

"What have I expected?" Shen asked himself. He took the blanket into his hands. The odor of alcohol, disinfection and sweat was breathing from the soft fabric. Shen folded the blanket neatly and put it aside to wash it later. 

"What shall I do now?" he asked the person on the photo displayed on the mantelpiece. When he got up to take a closer look on the photo, a phone rung and all the memories were cut off.

"Hello?"

"Shen Wei! So you are alive. Thanks God!"

"Should I be dead?"

"We were worried about you," Chu said. "You disappeared from the party and did not call me since then. I have called you several times, but you did not pick up."

"I am sorry. I think my hand phone must be out of batter then." 

"You should really learn how to use mobile phones properly. I can not call you on your home phone all the time. That is inconvenient."

"I am sorry to bring troubles to you," Shen said monotonously.

"So... how was it?" Chu asked mischievously.

"To be honest... I would not call it a party. If you want to hang out with others do not take me with you the next time."

Chu signed heavily. "I did not mean the party and if you did not like the idea you should have said so."

"I apologize then, it was my mistake for hoping for a regular birthday party."

"Okay, okay... Did you meet someone?"

"Why do you think I met someone?" Shen asked, a bit alerted.

"Because that is the only logic reason why you left the club without saying a word. And it is also the only excuse I would accept," Chu laughed.

"You logic is so wrong sometimes."

"Do not try to change the topic. So you met someone, right?"

"Well... yes." Shen glanced over the empty apartment.

"I knew it! Tell me. Tell me everything. Where did you meet? Was he handsome? How was the night?"

Shen had to stop Chu's excitement. "I did not sleep with him."

"You can tell me the truth. We are friends. And I bet you do remember details. When it comes to my memory it is always a bit... clouded in morning."

"That is because you drink so much," Shen said with concern. "He was picking a fight with someone. I saved him. He fainted. I took him home. That is all."

"Yeah, yeah... I do not believe you. You had a damsel in distress at home and did not touch him at all?"

"Well... I did, but... I did not sleep with him!"

"Still not convinced." Chu lit a cigarette on the other side. Shen could almost smell it though the phone in his hand. "Was he at least handsome?"

Shen gulped nervously."... he was... not bad." 

"What is his name?" Shen was washed aback. He did not know a single thing about that stranger. His name... what would he do to turn back time to ask this simple question. He did not even introduce himself to him. No wonder the man was so wary about him. Shen was a stranger to him as well.

"What I would give for his name," he whispered and caressed the blanket next to him.

"Do not worry about it. It happens when you have a one-night stand that you forget to ask."

"We did not do it!" Shen stressed once again, a bit angrily.

"Yeah, I know, I know..." Shen could imagine Chu waving his hand in the air, poisoning the space around with a cigarette smoke. The sarcasm in his voice irritated Shen, but he knew talking with Chu will help him to sort his thoughts. 

"I will give you one advice. Let's call it a rule. Forget what happened the last night and look forward to the next  one. We are going clubbing again and you are more than welcomed to join us. I bet you will find someone else to have fun with."

Shen was sick just by mentioning the stuffy air in some basement discos and loud music. There was no point in trying to explain Chu he had a good looking young man in his apartment, but did not do a thing with him. Shen kindly refused Chu's invitation to "hit on someone else" and said his goodbye.

He got up to make a quick breakfast before heading out to work and noticed the pot still sitting on the stove. "You should have eaten some. You are still weak..." 

"I will find you again!" The words from that evening came back to him, causing him goosebumps. A wave of concern washed over him. "This will not do... I have to see him. Even if he tells me I should go away, I have to see he is all right."

Running back to the living Shen grabbed the phone and dialed Chu's number again. He did not even let Chu say a word before telling him his request: "I will go with you under one condition. We are going to the same club as the last time!"

  +++End of chapter 7+++