11 - Meeting you again

"Come in."

Yunlan wavered. Can he really come into the house? Is it really okay for him to mingle with his life?

„It is rather cold outside. We can talk inside with a hot cup of tea," Shen repeated his invitation and hold the door open for Yunlan to come in.

Yunlan nodded. „I am not going to loose anything dear to me again."

While Shen was busy preparing the hot beverages Yunlan sat in the living room and wondered how is it possible he feels not only welcomed, but also familiar to the place. The diplomas on the wall, the photos on the mantelpiece, the candles on the table... he already saw it all and for some odd reason it remained in his memory till now.

„I wanted to thank you... for taking care of me," Yunlan said once Shen joined him and handed him a steaming cup of loose tea. Yunlan had no idea how such tea tastes. He had no recollection of even drinking tea in the past few years. He took the cup to warm his hands and was surprised by the aroma that hit his nose. „This..."

„You are welcome," Shen smiled. Noticing Yunlan still stares into the tea he added: „It is Oolong tea. I apologize if you do not like it. I am afraid it is the only tea I have at home now."

Yunlan shook his head. „This tea is perfect. Thank you." He looked at the bag Shen brought with him. „The shirt is clean. I do not need it anymore, so I brought it back." Yunlan was relieved he found it as an excuse to meet with him again.

„I gave the shirt to you. It is yours," Shen shifted the bag to the other man.

„I-I think you need it more now," Yunlan smiled shyly and Shen realized he is still wearing the bathrobe he quickly put on to answer the door.

„Your smile is just as I imagined it to be... so warm," Shen thought to himself. He was feeling a bit cold, but his heart was warming his body upon seeing that smile on Yunlan's lips. „I was in the shower when you came...," his voice trailed off. „I thought we will never see each other again."

„Me too...," Yunlan admitted and moved the bag back in front of Shen. „Take it."

Shen glanced over the bag's content. It was, indeed, the shirt he gave to Yunlan earlier. „I bought it for you, so it is yours. Do not try to argue about this. It is not my size anyway." Shen put the bag next to Yunlan's leg to close this ridiculous disagreement over a piece of clothing. Yunlan wanted to push the bag to him again and when he reached out to do so their hands touched.

„Does it still hurt?" Shen asked and slowly took Yunlan's injured hand into his own. He immediately recognized the bandages. „You did not replace it?" he shrieked in horror. Yunlan only shrugged. „An infection. Do you know what that is?!" Yunlan wanted to protest that he was busy finding him and some replacement of bandages was not the to-do-list, but Shen got up, his lips firmly closed. Yunlan sensed he was angry. „I will take a look at it. Do not move. Wait here."

Shen went to get the first aid kit, feeling a bit embarrassed for his sudden explosion of angry emotion. He just could not stand the view of unattended injuries. And it made him even angrier that it was Yunlan's injuries that were not taken care of properly. When they met Shen would send him straight to the hospital, but that man refused it. And Shen knew he did not went to the hospital after that as well. Not only because the bandages were exactly those he placed on for him, but Shen learnt about Yunlan's fear of hospitals first hand.

When Shen returned to the living room Yunlan was in that exact same position as he left him. Even his hand was placed in mid-air where Shen let go of it. That view made Shen's heart ache with regrets over his harsh reaction.

„You have to take care of your injuries. If you do not tend to them it can be pretty bad," Shen took Yunlan's hand into his own again and started replacing the bandages, disinfection the cuts and observing the injuries. „Luckily it looks fine. I will give you these, so you can replace them later again..." He pointed to a few white packages and a small bottle with disinfection.

„I-I do not know how to do such thing," Yunlan said in a low tone, afraid he will angry the man more.

Shen sighed. „Then you can always ask for help." He realized his voice sounds unnaturally hoarse. „I am sorry to be so petty about such things, but as doctor I cannot... I care about my patients."

Yunlan felt an imaginary needle piercing thru his heart. The word 'patient' echoed in his ears and air got stuck in his lungs. For a moment, he did not know what was happening around him „A patient..."

„How about your shoulder?" Shen sat closer to Yunlan and when the other man did not move he started unbuttoning his shirt himself to see the bandages on his shoulder. It was a hard task because Shen could feel Yunlan's eyes on himself and he could feel his breath on his trembling fingers. And his head started to spin. When finally enough buttons were off, Shen swiftly pulled the fabric to side to reveal Yunlan's shoulder.

„You did not replace those as well," Shen gasped for air when he saw the blood-stained bandages. He carefully took off all the plasters. Some of the cuts opened and the dried blood stucked the bandage to the injuries. Shen had to clean the cuts again and while doing so he noticed Yunlan biting his bottom lip in pain. „I am sorry. I know this hurts, but it will take only a few minutes."

Yunlan did not mind the pain that much. With each piercing feeling there was a warm touch of Shen's fingers on his skin. And it burned him down to the spine in an undiscovered extasy.

„You should not lift heavy things and be careful for a few weeks," Shen advised him when finishing his task. „I would not recomend fights for some time as well."

„I am not fighting anymore," Yunlan said.

„I am happy to hear that," Shen noted in a neutral tone and started buttoning up Yunlan's shirt. When he was halfway thru, Yunlan placed his hand on Shen's. Shen remembered the last time he did this Yunlan pushed him away. Thinking he did something unwanted Shen opened his mouth to apologize, but Yunlan was first to speak.

„Is that what I am to you?" Yunlan looked into his eyes. „A patient?"

„I..." Shen's voice trailed off. He did not know how to deliver the message correctly. The last thing he wanted was to scare the man more. Yunlan showed him what he thinks of people like Shen and suddenly Shen was ashamed to admit to him what he feels. „I have to be careful with my words."

Yunlan saw the emotions in Shen's eyes softening, from hurt to caring, and that gave him more courage. „To be honest I-"

„You are my patient," Shen said at the same time, cutting Yunlan's prepared speech as to why he decided to see him again. „But at the same time I think of you as a friend."

Yunlan inhaled deeply. Shen said the word 'friend' with an undertone Yunlan did not know how to interpret. But it was too late to turn back. Yunlan already made his mind to speak about what has been bothering him. After all, the man in front of him admitted he has dated another guy before. „There should be nothing wrong for saying what I want. The worst he can do is to laugh at me and kick me out."

„To be honest," Yunlan started again, but immediately forgot the rest of his speech. „I am... I came back not because of the shirt. I mean... I wanted to give it back to you and thank you for saving me the other day, but... I... I also wanted to see you again."

„There you have it. My confession is out."

+++End of chapter 11+++