V

Some people can't believe in themselves until someone else believes in them first.

Cody POV

October 12, 2016

8:40 AM

  Isabel flew off the roof at full speed, landing on top of the confused demon. A loud bang could be heard as she knocked into the dumpster. I glanced at the cars pulling in and out of the store around the corner, paranoid. I backed up as the dumpster slammed itself back into place, revealing the demon on top of her. Panic rose in my throat as her arms pushed him up, just so he couldn't reach her throat. I looked at the ground and saw a potential weapon, a beer bottle.

  I bent over and grabbed it, gripping my hand around the cool glass. I pulled myself back upright and slammed the bottle on the corner of the building. The glass shattered and I was left with a pointed end. Was I really going to stab someone? I looked at how close his newly, long claws were to slicing Isabel's throat. Okay we are definitely stabbing someone today. I held it tightly and slid behind them, bringing down the glass to the back of his shoulder. He hissed and flung backwards, slamming me against the brick wall. I felt my shoulder pop and pain flooded through my arm.

  Isabel pushed herself up and slammed his body against the wall. "Get the scimitar on the ground!" she commanded. I walked towards it, picking up the heavy sword. It was engraved with writing. It looked Japanese. There was a leather wrap wrapped around the handle, as if she didn't want anyone touching it. It fell to the ground and I held it out to Isabel. Her eyes looked towards the handle and then up at me. "I can't touch that," she stated firmly. The demon forced himself back, but she shoved him back against the wall immediately.

  "Stab him," she commanded, keeping her hands on his shoulders, but making way for the sword to impale him. I just glanced at her and moved behind them. I pressed it against his skin, a feeling of sickness rising in my throat. She rolled her eyes, as if she knew I was uncomfortable with it. She gripped her hands on top of mine, piercing the sword into him. Black smoke rose from the edges of the wound, out of his shirt. Isabel, still gripping my hand, pulled the sword out of his limp body. She let go and the weight of the sword on my bad arm made me hiss.

  "Howard! Make sure we don't have any dumpster divers or anything!" someone called out.

I'm going to jail with the person I have been watching through out of body experiences.

I killed a person with someone I have been watching through out of body experiences.

  Isabel looked at me with side eyes, backing up from the body. Her mouth hung open, letting out puffs of air. She bent over, picking up the leather wrap and using it to take the sword. She walked around the corner of the wall that separated the Walgreens from the woods. She picked up a pack and slid the sword into a holster, sliding the pack on.

  "Come on," she stated quickly. She walked into the woods quickly, me following close behind. I was not about to get left behind. The woods were actually kind of scaring me. I kept hearing sounds that reminded me of whispers. The sky was cloudy and it reminded me of that one day I walked home.

"There's— been a murder!" the male screamed from Walgreens. I glanced back and felt vile. I assisted in a murder.

  "Do I need to hold your hand?" Isabel called out behind her, stepping over a thin stream of water. "No," I said quietly, leaping over it as well.

  "Where are we going?" I asked her. She seemed more calm around me, unlike when she was with her group of friends. "The meeting place. Ellie went into your house and got what belongs to us." I rubbed my shoulder and grabbed it. Isabel wasn't even looking, but somehow she knew I felt like someone hit me with a train. "Grace will fix you up."

How did she know I knew about her friends?

  "Why couldn't you touch the sword?" I got the courage to ask.

  Isabel turned her head back and smiled. "Wouldn't be good for a demon to touch a demon killing sword now, would it?"

  Isabel stood in front of the God of trickery himself, Dolos. Her eyes squinted, anger running through her veins. I had managed to sneak in to watch what was happening. And so far he had done what he was named for, tricked them. He had gold eyes and beautiful locks of blonde hair. He looked just like you'd think a Greek god would look. Chiseled jawline, nice muscles. He was the type of dude that made me question my sexuality.

  "Truly, did you think I wouldn't recognize Grace Winterlee when I saw her?" he teased. "I really just wanted to see the demon who had made an impression on Hell looking like she came right out of grandmas clutches." Isabel suddenly smiled, all anger seemed to be gone.

"You've been cooped up here so long, everyone thinks you've been absent from Hell. You know, partying it up with the God squad? Glad to know you didn't betray us Draco," she walked up the stairs to his throne. "Why would I betray old friends for delusional angels?" he asked. His chin resting on his hand.

  "Hell is going literally, to hell. People are getting out, and demons are finally moving in with the werewolves, vamps, and humans. No one is happy about the royal family, why would you be?" Isabel explained. "Anyways, I don't have time to talk. I have a key, that leads you to a certain place. And I need you to use your trickery skills to make it a puzzle. Only those who have been trusted and we have told will unlock it."

Draco, or Dolos, rubbed his chin. "I may be able to connect it to your portals, let me see it." Isabel presented the compass to him, unlocking it. It's sides were only able to let out a small flash of light because of how fast she unlocked it. He grabbed it and observed it.

"Yes. A place where I can implement coordinates. I can wire the compass to your portals, the coordinates can switch through them every hour or so. Also, are you sure you don't want to make a way for people to figure it out? What if you die out?"

  "I don't plan on dying anytime soon," she stated.

  "I'll get to work then."