Chapter 9: Past Catches Up

We arrived at Royal Oak after a good half an hour. Me and Lucy had sat in silence the whole way, hoping, praying that Nina would be there because both of us knew that that was it, if we didn't find her there we wouldn't be able to find her anywhere else.

I slid out of the car rushing to the entrance of the bar, Lucy following close behind. The bar was empty but I didn't expect anything else- nobody came to a bar in early morning. We both stopped at the entrance and I scanned the entire room hoping to catch a glimpse of Nina or at least anything of hers that she'd left behind. But nothing. No traces of perfume, no jackets or coats, no Nina. I tried to keep hope she may have gone to the bathroom but deep down I knew. Lucy rushed passed me in eagerness to look around but I knew. Nina wasn't here. My body got weaker and weaker the more I thought of never seeing her again as I fell back to the wall, sliding down against it until I reached the floor.

"Nina!" Lucy called looking at each booth and the bathroom before she checked the 'staff only' rooms and cleaning rooms.

She realized she's checked everywhere and she knew I'd given up, she turned around and took another few looks at each area before she went through the 'emergency exit' doors at the back to see if she was in the back yard and returned with a tear streaming down her face.

She slowly walked towards me, and placed herself right next to me letting her head fall on my shoulder.

We were both just staring across the room thinking about her. I was grieving again, more so now that I'd done this to Nina. I'd hurt her just because I was hurting and that wasn't right. She didn't deserve to be yelled at or even avoided because she was just trying to help and I didn't give her a chance to.

The bar manager suddenly walked in, halting next to us before he stared down straining his eyes.

"Can I get you a table?" He joked but we weren't in the mood," -Oh.. kay then."

He walked off, shrugging and mumbling to himself about how we'd reacted so rudely. Me and Lucy sat still for what felt like hours in despair, not saying anything or even moving a muscle for that matter- just thinking and grieving.

"Ok guys, seriously. You've been here half an hour now sitting on the floor without moving a muscle and now I'm slightly worried .. and creeped out." The manager came back out of the staffroom carrying a large box and placing it on one of the booth tables before taking out the utilities inside, "People are probably going to be coming soon so I suggest you either order something and sit on chairs like civilised human beings or you know.. leave."

I had a tear streaming down my face as I began clenching my fists holding back from doing something. We were here mourning and grieving and he was trying to be funny or witty or what? Not to mention trying to kick us out. I just wanted to punch him, so hard. Again and again. I know I was overreacting but I needed an outlet, I wanted to hit something and right now the slightest little sound would irritate me let alone some guy trying to kick us out.

"Uh yea we're just about to leave" Lucy gave the manager a slight smile while getting up, "sorry. Let's go Ian."

I guess she figured out I was getting angry but I didn't want to move because the moment I left this bar it was over. We had to go back home and i didn't want to give up. I wanted to find Nina but we'd been looking everywhere and the chances of finding her were getting slim. It was all my fault.

"Why're you even here if you're not going to order anything? You've been the only people here all morning... well aside from this one girl who stayed overnight."

"Which girl? How did she look?" My eyes widened as I quickly stood up, speaking for the first time in a while and walked towards the manager as Lucy let out a gasp and beamed, clearly having hope.