Chapter Eight - Gravity

Throughout the twenty minute course of the ride, Lord had trouble looking at Aimee.

Namely, her brown eyes.

Already, he was feeling ... Strange. Yes, strange. Yet another vague word for guilty.

It really didn't matter how nice he tried to be to her, or the fact that he tried his best to shield her from his partner whom by far had taken sadistic pleasure in his job; Lord had made sure her kidnapping went off without a hitch.

That's why the Boss favored him over everyone else.

However, Lord despised getting his hands dirty. As in, he refused to take part in ending people as he called it.

But observing Gary, the kind of bastard he was, and what he was perfectly capable of, Lord had felt a serious intent to murder.

He briefly turned to look at Aimee, who was in a fetal position on her left.

An ambiguous smile graced his features as he noticed her closed eyes, her shoulders rising and falling, and her soft breathing.

He felt an unknown need to protect her.

Then, it happened.

His hand moved of its own accord, reaching out to touch the side of her face.

She stirred slightly, but remained sound asleep nonetheless.

He took his hand back, and eyed it curiously.

A mystery indeed.

* * * * *

Aimee woke up to the car stopping at a gas station. It was past noon, and she was hungry again. She scanned the contents of the bag in which Lord had bought the breakfast items, and was happy to find that there were a couple of sandwiches left.

"Pssst."

Lord smacked his lips a bit as he opened his eyes.

"Can I have what's in there?"

He nodded, as he reached over to unbind her hands.

If he had to be honest, he was getting tired of tying and untying her hands.

He couldn't understand how she had been able to put up with the uncomfortable feeling of it.

Aimee sat up, unwrapped the sandwich, and ate away.

While Lord was preoccupied with his thoughts, Aimee was finally beginning to feel worried about her parents, particularly her mom.

Even though the lady was a bitch, Aimee still loved her, and she knew her mom reciprocated.

She had mixed feelings about her dad though; she didn't know why he did the things he did, being in the line of work he was in.

"If you could run, would you?"

Aimee was startled by the sudden blurt that came from Lord.

"Provided that I hadn't forgotten my wallet, maybe." Was the lazy reply.

Lord chuckled. "You have an answer for everything, don't you."

Aimee sneered. "Guess I do."

She finished eating the sandwich, and reached out for one of the bars he had gotten.

Lord mused that for someone with a great figure, the girl sure could eat.

Just as she bit into the bar, Gary opened the driver's door with more bags of junk food. He handed one to Lord, who took out his wallet, and handed a couple of bills to Gary.

Aimee noticed a bag of chips, a red packet of Marlboro, and cans of soda peering through said bag.

"We'll stop at a motel around six," Lord told Gary, as he opened the bag of chips, and handing a can to Aimee.

Gary nodded, and directed his eyes at Aimee. "What about her?"

"What about her?" Lord threw back.

"We smuggle her in?"

Aimee waited with somewhat bated breath.

Lord glanced at her. "Yeah."

"Cool." Gary started the car, and got onto the main highway.

Lord offered Aimee his chips, but she politely declined, mutely gesturing that she was full.

He prepared to light a cigarette, but decided against it.

Maybe once they got to the room.

Suddenly, Aimee picked up the small rope he had used to tie up her hands with and lifted it to him.

Lord looked at it.

And he looked at her.

Then, he turned his head to the right, showing disinterest.

Aimee furrowed her brow as she placed it back down.