Chapter 8

Emma’s P.O.V.

After breakfast, he said we should bring some snacks for our ride. We ended up making PB&J’S. He put them in his backpack with a pack of ice so they wouldn’t get warm and soggy. After that, he opened his garage and pulled out a new looking mountain bike. I snatched mine and we set off to- anywhere. We rode along a huge highway just beside his house that was bordered with a meadow. We rambled on and on about the future and life. I was falling in love with him more and more with each word. While we were cruzing along the highway, I slammed on my brakes. He did the same and asked if everything was ok. I pointed to a perfect spot and when he saw it, his face beamed.

Eric’s P.O.V.

I looked in the direction she was pointing and saw a beautiful clearing surrounded by flowers and trees. There was a perfect view of a stream too. We inched towards it and set up to eat. She set an old blanket of mine on a soft patch of grass and I started taking the food out of my backpack. I noticed that ever since breakfast, she couldn’t stop smiling. Like she was so incredibly happy and nothing could make her sad. She unwrapped the first sandwich as she sat down and took a big bite.

“Mmmmmm” she drawled.

I chuckled and realized that I couldn’t stop smiling either. She suddenly lied down and rested her head on my knee, looking up at the sky.

“Oh! Do you see the ice-cream cone?!” she urged.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, thinking she had been in the sun for too long.

“The cloud,” she said impatiently, “Do you see the cloud that shaped as an ice-cream cone?”

I looked up to see a cloud that did look like one. But it was warping into a diluted cotton candy bunch.

“Ya!” I laughed.

We probably spent an hour lying there, looking up at the clouds. When we finally got bored, we headed near the stream and tried to skip rocks. The stream was a lot deeper than I had thought. Probably 7 or 8 feet. Emma suddenly lost her balance trying to snatch a stone and almost fell in. I reached for her and pulled her close to me. She clutched my arms.

“Whoa…” she murmured.

“Maybe its time for us to head back.” I suggested.

“Ya lets go.” She agreed.

We packed all our stuff and started to ride back when she stopped dead in her tracks. She whipped her arm up and peered at her watch. The color in her face drained.

“I have to go back…” she mumbled.

“Why?” I asked.

“I have to check on my grandfather.” She replied.

“Ok, you go,” I started, “But text me when you get back. I want to make sure that your safe.

She nodded then blew a kiss.

“I love you Eric.”