Chapter 2

I walked through the hallway with my things. I looked down, like I always did. No one noticed me, as always. It was actually a good thing. I didn’t see the people passing by, I didn’t see people sitting on the floor. I only saw the floor, and some feet, too. The floor was grey, with a pattern. I never got the pattern. It actually wasn’t exactly a pattern, but something like that. You know, like usually in the hospitals, I think.

I didn’t hear people talking nor yelling because the music I listened to, was too loud. I had my earphones on but still, every person could probably hear the music, if they wanted to. I still looked down, and at that moment, I really wished, I hadn’t.

A guy walked into me, or I walked into him, and all of my things fell on the floor. Everyone stared at us. I didn’t bother to look who it was nor take my earphones off. I crouched down so I could get my things. The guy crouched, too. He helped me. I saw his hands helping me. I looked up. I couldn’t believe it. It was Austin Newman, the hottest guy in school. Probably the hottest guy in Bristol. He was known for his good looks, of course, but also ‘oh-I’m-too-cool-for-you’ personality. Every girl in the school wanted him.

‘’Sorry,’’ he said, giving my things back. I didn’t hear him, but read his lips that were so perfect.

I couldn’t say anything, but, ‘’It’s fine,’’ And just walked away. Actually, more like I ran away.

I couldn’t believe he actually had noticed me. I went to the class.

The next time I saw him, was the day after that.

I was sitting in the hallway, on the floor, drawing like always. I started drawing a new picture since the last one was finished. I wasn’t sure what I was drawing. I just drew something. I listened to Mad World by Gary Jules. It was probably my favorite song and I had had it on replay for days, I think. It could calm me down when I needed to calm down. It was also something I liked to listen to when I drew. It inspired me.

Finally I saw what I had drawn. It was a portrait. I couldn’t see who it was on that portrait. I kept drawing.

After a couple of minutes or seconds, not sure, I felt a stare on me and I looked up to see who it was. Down the hall I saw the Austin Newman, staring at me. He was alone. He had never been alone. He was always with his friends and girlfriends.

We stared at each other for about a minute and then it was getting already uncomfortable. I took my drawing and before I put it in my folder in my bag, I saw who it was. It was him on that portrait. Austin Newman. I looked up to him one more time and then ran away. I went to the bathroom and locked myself in. I took the drawing out of my bag and looked at it again. It really was him. His eyes had the same look as his eyes. His lips were perfect and smirking as usually. His hair was as sexy as always. His eyelashes were still so long and his face was so perfect, as always. There was no doubt it was him. I couldn’t believe what I had done. I had drawn the biggest idiot in the world.

Next day at school I was sitting on that same spot. It was my favorite place in whole school. On the floor, in the hallway. I had my own corner where I always sat. Again, I listened to music. Gary Jules. I’d say, he was more than music but music already is more than music. Of course, not Katy Perry or I don’t know… Um, Lady Gaga or LMFAO, what ever. I mean, I don’t like this kind of music. Anyway, I drew, again. I had thrown the portrait of Austin Newman away. There was no doubt. Although, it was the best drawing I had ever done, I think.

This time I drew a waterfall in a forest. It was really beautiful. There were flowers, birds, very detailed trees, and a couple in the cave, under the waterfall. The guy had detailed wings on his back. Only I could understand the details.

Well, all the drawings that were made by me were beautiful. I knew I could draw. It was something I was good at.

I listened to the relaxing Gary Jules and drew. I think it was the best thing of school. I could be alone, without interruptions. At least, it used to be like that.

Someone sat next to me but I tried to ignore him. I hoped he was going to leave when I ignored him, but he didn’t. He took my earphone off and put it into his ear.

‘’Not really my kind of music,’’ he said. ‘’But it isn’t bad.’’ He took off his earphone. I looked up. It was Austin Newman, again. I didn’t say anything but also I didn’t bother putting the earphone back. I drew.

‘’It’s really beautiful,’’ he said after couple of minutes. ‘’Although, I’ve never understood art. But it’s different. Only thing I can’t understand here, is the wings.’’ I looked up to him, but still didn’t say anything. I drew. He said nothing. He just sat there, next to me. Looking how I drew. I was getting nervous. I just didn’t like when someone was watching me draw. Actually, lately I didn’t like people staring at me at all.

I put down the paper and asked him, ‘’What do you want? You wanna make fun of me or something?’’

‘’No. No! I just think you’re an interesting person. I mean, I don’t know you, and lets be honest, I’ve never really noticed you, but now I do, and I think you’re interesting. You’re not like others. You’re different. Good different, of course.’’ I couldn’t believe him. No one had ever said anything like that. I didn’t believe he really meant it.

‘’Okay, lets say I believe you, which I don’t. I still don’t like people watching me draw. Especially people who don’t understand art, which I don’t get, by the way. But you still didn’t answer my question. What do you want?’’

‘’I kind of, um, want to, um.’’ I saw him blush. He was adorable. Usually he was, um, kind of, like, um, hot? But now, he was adorable. ‘’Get to, um, know you, kind of.’’ He was like a tomato! Haha. I stared at him like he was an alien. ‘’What?’’ he asked.

I turned my head back, smiling. ‘’Nothing.’’

‘’Aaaand she smiles,’’ he said, smiling. That made me smile even more. ‘’I’ve never seen you smile.’’

I looked back at him, almost laughing. Well, not really, but since I almost never even smiled, even a little smile was almost like a laugh. But it wasn’t a little smile. It was bigger than little. ‘’You saw me yesterday for the first time. I mean, you probably saw me before, but didn’t notice me, so, yeah.’’

‘’Actually, that’s not true. I saw you before. For example, at the party.’’ That I didn’t expect. But of course, I didn’t didn’t expect it either. He wasn’t smiling, not anymore.

I was embarrassed. Who wouldn’t be? I mean, I was talking to a guy who had seen me covered in beer.

‘’It wasn’t right, you know? She wasn’t supposed to do that. By the way, you look so cute when you blush.’’

The bell rung and we both got up, he helped me get my things and get me up.

‘’Um,’’ he scratched his neck. ‘’I’ll see you, I think, um, later, um, yeah. Um, bye.’’ He still scratched his neck and then left.

I went to my class, smiling. Just a little.