Chapter 13

‘’Hey, girl,’’ said the happy voice of Sandra on the phone. ‘’You feel like vandalizing the city?’’ Oh, right. I forgot to tell you. We were graffiti buddies.

‘’Um, I don’t know. I’m kind of tired.’’

‘’Please? Pretty please? We haven’t seen each other for… a week, I guess. I have to talk to you and I haven’t gotten out to the streets for… a while now. So, please? For me?’’

It’s hard to say ‘no’ to her. Everyone knew that. If she let you say ‘no’ to herm then she was just being polite and didn’t want you to say ‘yes’ anyway. ‘’Ugh, fine,’’ I finally said, not wanting to argue with her.

‘’Yes,’’ she squealed. I squeezed my eyes shot. She had a high voice when squealing. ‘’Okay,’’ she started when she finally had calmed down a bit. ‘’Let’s meet at our usual place in… um, thirty?’’

‘’Yeah, sure,’’ I sighed. ‘’See ya.’’ I ended the call.

I walked to my closet, looked up my graffiti clothes, put them on and took my backpack from the under of my bed. I really have to clean my room, I thought. It was so dusty in there.

I ran downstairs, grabbed an apple and in the hall, I put on my black Converse, deciding to take a risk and go with my favorite Converse although I knew I’d regret it afterwards.

I ran out the door to the bus stop cause our usual meeting spot was kind of far from my house. The bus came almost the second I got to the bus stop. I didn’t have to stand there in coldness and be bored.

The bus smelt like rat pee. I’m serious. It had a weird smell and I didn’t even want to sit down. I had a feeling that if I did, I would’ve sat into a rat’s pee. I’m not even kidding. Even not just a little bit. Luckily I had my gloves on, so I could hold on.

I hated buses. They were so unclean and smelt awful. Especially the old buses, like the one I was in. 

Finally, after a couple of bus stops, I got off. I started to walk to the north, I guess and walked forward for about fifteen minutes, then turned to the right and walked for a couple of minutes more. Then I was at our spot. Sandra was already there. I gave her a hug.

‘’Hey,’’ she said. ‘’So, which wall of these is lucky enough to feel our paint on it today?’’ she asked, pointing to the apartment buildings around us. They were all four floors high. Most of those walls were already painted. Most were painted by us. We were known around here. Of course they didn’t know exactly what we looked like, or what were our real names, but they talked about us. They all had their theories about us.

I looked at the painted walls. They were all memories to us. We had had so much fun painting them. My favorite was the quote ‘’Some people become cops because they want to make the world a better place. Some people become vandals because they want to  make the world a better looking place.’’ –Banksy’’ It looked beautiful. It consisted of different colors. For example, purple, white, green, black. It looked awesome and I was proud of it. We – Sandra and I – both were. It took us a couple of hours to finish it.