Chapter 9

While I was painting my nails, my phone started ringing. The caller’s ID said it was Austin. I picked it up, trying not to ruin my nails and phone.

‘’Hey girl,’’ said a high faked girly voice, I guess, but it sounded like a gay guy trying to sound not gay. I still recognized it was Austin. He was probably trying to do a girl’s voice. ‘’You ready for a sleep over and talk about boys with me? Today I met a really nice guy, you just have to hear about him. He’s so cute and fun, and he’s really hot and oh my Gosh, his lips are so tasty. They taste like cherry. I think I’m in love with him…’’

‘’Did you finally come out of the closet?’’ For a second I actually thought he was serious. ‘’I’ve always known you were gay.’’

‘’Oh, wait, what? What are you talking about?’’ A couple of seconds he didn’t say anything and then, ‘’No! I was just kidding! I tried to be like you bestie, a girl friend. Not a gay. Oh my God, did I really sound gay? I didn’t even know I can sound gay… Wow. Please, please don’t tell anyone about it? Okay?’’

I started laughing so hard. ‘’You were as gay as a rainbow. Even gayer. I thought it was for real. I’ve always thought you were gay. I’ve just waited for you to come out of the closet.’’

‘’But actually, I was calling to know if you’re free but I guess you are. Anyways, lets go out somewhere. Lets make the city prettier.’’

''Lets. Where should we meet?’’

‘’At the house. I’ll see you in thirty? And take your spray paints with you.’’ ‘

‘’OK.’’ He ended the call.

I took the backpack which had all of my spray paints in it from under my bed. I opened my closet and looked for my graffiti-on-the-field as I liked to call it (black comfy trousers and a black hoodie), put them on and went downstairs with my backpack.

It was the first time on the field together as I called it. I was kind of nervous. I had no idea where we were going. It was a good timing. It was already pretty dark and there wasn’t too many people on the streets, luckily. I didn’t know for sure what we were gonna paint but we had had some visions. Yes, I was nervous, but I also was excited. I really hoped he’d know how to be unnoticed and wouldn’t take too many risks.

‘’Bye mom,’’ I said to me and as usual, she didn’t even notice I was going. She didn’t even hear me say ‘bye’. She never noticed me, never said ‘hello’ nor ‘bye’. Since I was already used to it, I headed to the house.

When I was standing in front of the house, I looked if anyone would see me if I’d go in. I saw no one and so I opened the door. It was unlocked so Austin was already in. I went to the fifth floor. I saw him. He was sitting on the floor.

‘’Hey girl,’’ I said, trying to sound like he did on the phone. ‘’What’s up?’’

‘’Nothing, girl. But seriously, please don’t tell anyone about it. Even Sandra. Please?’’